If not CFS, what else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have severe fatigue, probably like everyone here, but I haven't been officially diagnosed with CFS. Since I have partially treated depression, all my doctors just give up and say it's probably the depression and won't go beyond the standard causes, all of which have been ruled out pretty much:

-thyroid is normal

-iron is occasionally slightly low but supplementing doesn't help

-I get enough sleep most days, my fatigue level doesn't vary by how much sleep I get

-I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea but cpap doesn't help symptoms

-I take vitamins including vitamin D and B vitamins

I don't have pain really, the main reason I don't think it's CFS. Is there anything else that causes fatigue I can look into? I figure there's gotta be people here who figured out other causes, anyone?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

First of all, not having pain doesn't necessarily mean you don't have ME/CFS. I've had this illness for many years without pain. Also, a person can be depressed and still have ME/CFS. Many doctors aren't very well informed about ME/CFS, and so often fob off the symtoms to depression or it being "all in your head." I highly recommend that you check out the website: "solve me/cfs initiative." See if the symptoms listed there resonate with you. Here is one symptom that's a red flag for this illness: post-exertional fatigue. In other words, do you get abnormally fatigued after doing something? Other than ME/CFS, there's many many possible causes of fatigue. You might want to try another doctor.

• Posted

According to the quiz on the website it's "unlikely" I have CFS but who knows... I just have severe fatigue, I'm not sure about exertion, I have a very physical job working in a restaurant and that might be the cause of the fatigue, I don't know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.