If one changes address while claiming ESA does one automatically get moved onto universal credit?

Posted , 5 users are following.

If I change my address while claiming ESA will I get switched automatically to Universal credit, please?

0 likes, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted


    It will totally depend on what benefits you currently claim, more information is needed to be able to advise you further.

    Report Reply
    • Posted

      Then if you move to a different local council you'll need to claim UC. All areas are now a full UC area since middle of December 2018.

      If you're in a group for ESA then DWP will honour that and place you into the relevant group for UC. First UC payments take 5 weeks, any ESA payments you receive after you've claimed UC will deducted from your future UC payments.

      If you receive tax credits then this will also transfer to UC.

      Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and you'll need to claim this by contacting your local council.

      If your move is within the same local council then you'll remain on your existing benefits.

      Report Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up