If you get PEs from the contraceptive pill...

Posted , 5 users are following.

can they come back even if you don’t take any estrogen based medication again, or are as soon as they are dispersed and you finish anticoagulation is that it, you don’t have to worry?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I've been told that if there is a reason for the clots, such as being on the pill, that you should be good to go after your treatment. I've also been told that no matter what the reason, we are all at a slightly higher risk than the general population of a repeat. However if they are reasonably sure the pill caused yours, I can't imagine they would keep you on thinners longer than six months.

• Posted

For me when i had my pes in 2016 they are not 100% what cause mine. But possibly kicking a door 20 30 times. When they checked my legs i had no dvt. So there not even sure where it came from. I have no clotting disorder although my mother has an autoimmune disorder and sometimes gets them and she takes thinners for life. But yes I've been told by my hematologist that unprovoked pes your at a much higher risk of getting another one but provoked pes your at a lower risk. But nonetheless anyone who has one will always be at some kind of risk. I was told i was at a 10% risk. Also, I have had several ct scans since being off thinners in may 2017 and there is no evidence that I ever had a pe. Not even a dvt. But i was told mine where relatively small. I got lucky. So far I have been ok. No problems. But Some people on here Get off thinners and then come back 3 months later and say they had another one.

• Posted

I have read moon that once you have clots you are more at risk of getting them again. It is frightening to think that but, everyday I am active, drink lots of water and continue with my natural anticoagulants. I do live in fear of them.
    • Posted

Me too. I take daily baby aspirin and omega 3.
    • Posted

Hi Sway,

My hubby was given 75mg aspirin after his heart attack, a week later his urine was as red as red wine. After 3 days in hospital doctors said it was because of the aspirin but, told him to stay on it!!! We are 8 months later now and he is starting to feel things are not right 'down there'. This is why I stick to natural anticoagulants especially after my experience on apixaban (eliquis).

• Posted

Medications effects every person differently. Like Metoprolol it gives me a breathing problem so I'm on bisoprolol. Even though there in the same class, for whatever reason my body does not like metoprolol.

• Posted

I agree sway, not everyone reacts the same to drugs, but metformin is not a great drug.

I believe in natural remedies and will always try and find a natural way.

I had clot(s) in the lung at the begining if June due to a hip replacement. I was put on apixaban (eliquis) for three months, after one month it made me really ill so, I stopped taking it. I now take a bromelain every morning drink lots of water, take root ginger tea, garlic tablet flaxseed and pray.

I saw your question to moon. The NHS is our free health service, the National Health Service.

• Posted

Although I am coming to the end of my treatment I am nervous to come off my blood thinners. I am certainly not a big fan of all the side effects, but I am so scared of the PEs coming back. The experience I had was horrendous, particularly as I was left undiagnosed for so long. I have never experienced pain and anxiety like it. The way I have been treated in hospital has not been great either. The fear of having to go into A&E fills me with dread! Sitting around for hours in pain in an NHS hospital with no privacy, bright lights, disgusting loos and no one really knows what is going on. It makes me shudder!

• Posted

I know this is more of a UK based website and I have heard of the hospital A&E because there is a show on netflix about it but what does NHS stand for and why is is a bad hospital? I'm just curious.

• Posted

NHS is our seriously failing national health service. So a certain amount of our taxes and national insurance goes to the NHS which is supposed to be free at the point of use. The trouble is our population is a lot bigger than it was and people are living longer. Also what you can get free on the NHS wasn’t available when it began. It is also terribly managed, it treats the staff terribly and pays them really badly. Some NHS hospitals are better than others and it depends on where you live and how well they are funded and managed. Waiting times are really bad, there can be just a curtain separating you and another patient when you are having a consultation, so no privacy. If you stay overnight with chest problems you are sharing with other patients, some of who have chest infections so you are at risk of getting really ill. Hygiene isn’t great. The staff are overworked and change regularly, you very rarely see the same doctor twice either in a hospital or at your GPs. I know other people may have really positive stories and I am not knocking the hard working doctors, nurses and staff, it is just the way it is run.
    • Posted

Wow, I am so sorry that the system over there is not working. I'm in the US and I do pay a lot for insurance and medical bills. But once I meet my deductible which I usually do in the first half of the year my insurance pays everything at 100%. So I don't have to pay anything but maybe a very small amount. At most hospital they are clean and 90% of hospitals have gone to single rooms so people do not get sick or sicker due to someone else's illness. You typically see the same doctor even after you leave the hospital especially if they operated on you. But we do have a lot of crappy hospitals too and they do make mistakes and people die. But I am so sorry that you have to go through that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.