If you had to choose between Urolift or PAE....

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi all,

It is looking more likely that I may need some 'intervention' regarding my enlarged Prostate after being on medication for several years.

I was just wondering if you had a choice of Urolift or PAE which you would choose and why?

Any advice from those of you who have personal experience of either procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Apart from the above does anyone have a positive experience of TURP? My main worry with that is incontinence.

Thanks and take care.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We have had reports of problems with both procedures. I still don't understand Urolift. The tied back prostate must still grow.

Having had trouble free GL PVP and Thulium/Holmium laser procedures over the years. I would have either again or HoLep. HoLep needs a longer learning curve than GL but saves tissue for histology if that is a concern.

• Posted

FLA is another interesting option.  It seems like we had alot of super positive comments awhile but havent seen many lately.
    • Posted

I had my FLA on 4/28/17.....best money I have ever spent.
    • Posted

I had FLA in July this year. BPH woes are now long forgotten. I would recommend to anyone. 

• Posted

Hey Peter. did Dr K do your FLA? If so have you talked to them since the hurricane hit Houston? I emailed them last week, to get the dates he had available in October, and did not get an answer back yet. I was just wondering if they were damaged.

Also did insurance cover any of yours? I turned in a Pre-authorization request to BCBS and they indicated that they would cover it out of network, Dr K said not to hold my breath on getting reimbursed from them tho. Just curious if anybody else had any luck with insurance.

Thanks

• Posted

I heard from Dr. K after the hurricane. You should email again. Perhaps email got lost.

Good luck.

Pete Kline

HONG KONG

• Posted

Thanks Pete, will do that today. Where did you stay while in Houston?

Joe

• Posted

I had PAE - didn't work for me and it was very expensive. I am now considering UROLIFT. TURP is a non-starter for me.

• Posted

Urolift was my first choice but didn't work so I got a Holap at Mayo,2 months ago,pee great but still need to go when I get urge, Hope to get better with time

• Posted

PAE did nothing for me but cost money, and give me a heck of a prostate infection. I am waiting on available dates with Dr. K for FLA now. It is expensive also, but the science behind it seems a lot more sound than some of the other procedures. I did not qualify for the Urolift because of a large median lobe, which DR. K can remove completely.
  • Posted

I had Urolift 4 months ago. So far so good. I had bladder stones w/ some bleeding along with bph--69 cc prostate. Treatment and recovery was easy. Done in outpatient surgical center with iv sedation.  Propofol. Good flow. Not much urgency or leakage. Up once or twice a night. No sexual issues. But having said all those positive things I am concerned about how long it will last. As

Someone said prostate continues to grow. I know it can be redone if situation is right. I'll just have to wait and see and enjoy it while it works. 

I don't know anything about PAE other than reading about it. It wasn't offered to me by my Urologist. 

All the best

Tom

• Posted

Good to hear that your procedure went okay and the outcome has been so positive for you, long may it last.

I take it that you have not had any problems regarding incontinence following the procedure as that is one of my main worries regarding TURP.

Take care,

Steve.

• Posted

In people I know GL was always a quick recovery. There seems to be a huge difference between UK results and American ones or is it just the American failures we hear more about on this Forum.
    • Posted

No incontinence. In the first month or so I would have very slight leakage. A few drops when I really needed to urinate. But not any more. And that

Little bit wasn't any big deal. Good luck. 

Tom

• Posted

I am 61 years. Come from a remote country called Sri Lanka (Ceylon).  As I learned from comments given in various forums .. FLA procedure has given very good results and minimum adverse side effects.  I assume that cost is very high.  In my country, only option available is TURP.  So I decided to go for TURP after two acute retention events.

Here, the total cost was around 2000 US$.  I was with catheter for two days and on 3rd day it was removed.   After about one hour catheter was removed and removal I could empty my bladder and flow was very strong.  After 3 times of emptying I was discharged.  Reddish colour of urine and few drops of blood at the beginning of urinating was there for two weeks. Also mild discomfort existed for about 3 weeks.  Onr month after surgery I was asked to see the Dr. with reports from uroflowmetry, US scan, urine report, K, Na levels  and biopsy.  Dr. said everything was OK.  It's great relief and success but RE is the only negative effect.I assume RE will be there for rest of my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.