If you're contemplating seeing doc for bph surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm writing this for anyone who is currently in the situation I was in 8 or 9 months ago, to provide info I hope will be helpful.

Back then, I had been on bph medication for years and now the symptoms were becoming unmanageable. I read online about minimally invasive surgery options that are relatively new and didn't exist back the last time I looked into it, and I asked my GP for a referral to a urologist.

The urologist discussed two options, Urolift and Rezum, both minimally invasive surgeries (depending on your situation, you may be presented with different options). The diagnostic tests that were required to determine eligibility were:

1. Transrectal ultrasound - this determines the volume of the prostate. It is quick and painless
  2. Urodynamics - this determines the bladder's ability to hold urine and empty steadily and completely. It worked like this: sensors were placed on the skin near the urethra and in the rectum. A catheter was inserted to empty the bladder of urine. Sterile water was pumped slowly into the bladder until relatively full. Then asked to urinate into a receptacle that determines void rate and degree of emptying. This test was unpleasant but they wouldn't do the surgery without it
  3. Cystoscopy - this lets the physician see first hand the degree of constriction and determine if there is a median lobe. You're going to look at the cystoscope and ask "You're putting that where?" but they won't do the surgery without and I guess it's over pretty quickly

The tests determined I was eligible for either Urolift or Rezum and I chose Rezum for reasons discussed in another post. My surgery was delayed for about 5 months due to elective surgeries being prohibited due to the covid-19 pandemic, and I finally had the surgery in the doctor's office about 2 weeks ago. You only know the full results about three months post-surgery

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

consider FLA for BPH, I had this done with Dr.Karamanian, about 16 months ago, my IPSS dropped from 25 to 1, no ED, fully continent

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.