If you're googling before you sigmoidoscopy not everyone has a bad experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having just had a Sigmoidoscopy I just wanted to give a few words on my experience to people who like me made the mistake of googling the procedure before they had it. Not to undermine what I'm sure were very unpleasant experiences for some of the people on this board however I don't think they're very representative of the average experience people have during the procedure. Look at it this way when people have an ok meal at a restaurant they rarely go online to tell people, if they have a terrible one they will immediatly go on the web to warn others.

Before my sigmoid this morning I was terrified having read all the statements from people saying it was worse than childbirt etc. Whilst I can't say it was the most pleasant thing I've ever experienced it was tolerable, and as others have noted the prep ((for me) was actually worse than the investigation. Even at it's worse it was only uncomfortable, and at 5 - 10 minutes mercifully short.

Like I said I don't want to undermine others who have posted, and I'm sure your own personally bowel health will have an impact (if you have hemorrhoids etc) on your own experience, but if you are nervous please don't let the bad experiences of others work yo up before what is after all a very standard procedure.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

True.... everyone has their own personal encounter.  My only, and never again experience with a sigmoidoscopy was some 15 years ago.   Of course, I did not have the stories online to frighten me, and I just went in with the sense that people have those exams all the time. 

All I will say is that was my last visit for a bottoms up exam.  I will just take with my chances with a zero family history, and a good life style.  Every year the doctor will tell me to go in for a colonoscopy, and I continue to say no way,  never again.

• Posted

Then again, to hear doctors say that a colonoscopy is merely "uncomfortable" and then have a totally nasty memory does nothing but DESTROY any sense of confidence in the medical profession.
    • Posted

Well from what I was told at the endoscopy unit (and subsequently by my aunt, who is a doctor although in A&E) sedation is recommended for a colonoscopy which is much more invasive than a sigmoidoscopy which is what we're talking about and I found merely uncomfortable. Like I said I'm aware even for the sigmoidoscopy some people have had some absolutely horrendous experiences but I don't think that is the norm as reading a few of the accounts would have you believe. For every genuine person on this kind of forum you do tend to get some who are just after the 'woe is me' sympathy (which I'd really like to stress isn't everyone and I'm not accusing you).

Anyway the main point of my post (and me signing up to the website) was to provide a bit of balance and counter some of the frankly unhelpful comments. Anyway everyone's from to flame me all they like but if this helps one person avoid any unnecessary worry then mission accomplished.

• Posted

I'm glad someone else has said bacically the same as me! I had a sigmoidoscopy a few days ago and after reading all these negative experiences online petrified wasn't even the word! I rang up the hospital several

Times telling them I didn't want it after reading all the comments but I'm so glad I didn't I had the procedure done everything went good had the results after too so I had reasurence. But I went was having panic attacks and crying I was that worried but I've got to admit it was uncomftable and a little painful but no where as near as what I was expecting! I would have one again if I needed too so it couldn't have been that bad lol but deffinatly reccomend having sedation it just takes the edge off everything fully awake and fully awear and it calms you down my advise to anybody is a little bit of pain for a lifetime of gain! If doctors have reccomended you to have it it is for the best mine didn't take more than 5 minutes and you get your results straight away so you have reassurance too smileI had a nurse by my side the whole way through the talking to me about anything and everything that really helped me out everybody has different experiences and everybody handles things differently so it will be different for everyone.

• Posted

I am glad that your sigmoidoscopy went all right.

As you can see by many comments here, though, many patients have been told that this procedure is not one that should require any sedation.  Obviously, someone  (actually many) are lying.

I, for one, don't believe much of anything the those so called medical professional say.  And that is hard for me to say as I worked in health care for over 20 years.

• Posted

Hello,

As I stated on the post I'm due for a sigmoidoscopy this coming week. Yes, I want to man up and get this out of the way. I'm hoping that my experience will be less uncomfortable than others . I admit as any other human being I'm scared of the unknown. I'm going through anxiety right now contemplating if I should cancel once again the app! But if I chose to do this , not only will I still go through the symptoms I'm going through , but the emotional torment not knowing what's causing this. I'm hoping it isn't anything serious ! I just want to get on with my life . I know that unfortunate things happen to people and sooner or later we have to go through experiences of life . Am I going to make it?! Yes ! I'm I scared ,yes!

• Posted

Well, you do have symptoms that prompt the need for a look.  I hope all goes well.  I had a pretty painful experience (in the US), but from everything I read, pain is usually less of an issue for men.  But we are all individuals and our bodies are different.

Again, hope it all goes well.

• Posted

Thanks. Well I just got an email today as a matter of fact that , if this is as painful at least what you experience I reside in the u.s by the way, My doc suggested to see a surgeon first to asses of there can be another alternative besides sig .
  • Posted

I don't know if I have responded to your post before , I have stated on my post in due for a sig in two months due to my ongoing symptoms . I too have been cursed with viewing these unpleasant responses with their experiences. I've been canceling my app due to fear . Which is ridiculous that a grown man like myself is scared !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.