If you take ramipril does it mean for life?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a male of 43 and as and average have a bp of 140/90 sometimes lower! Been advised to take 2.5mg of ramipril! Can i not just exercise to prevent me from taking the ramipril?

I have had no previous medical problems!

Burning question is once you start taking ramipril is it for life??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Not necessarily Jazzydee. 140/90 is only high-side of average for someone your age but not disastrous, and blood pressure meds don't have withdrawal effects. (Unless your BP is really high, in which case it could be dangerous to stop.)

Assuming you're not going flat-out with exercise already, increasing exercise could be beneficial. Don't forget diet too. Reducing salt helps most people, though it depends on the cause of your high-ish BP. Don't cut it out altogether - we all need a little salt - but maybe don't put it on the table and go easy with it in cooking. Reducing carbs - and especially sugar - is another good move. And you can cut out excesses of both salt and carbs by strictly reducing junk food. It's stuffed with both. Even savoury dishes are often full of sugar! It's better to home-cook most of your food from basic ingredients, while still allowing yourself an occasional treat of pizza etc. And of course, if you're a smoker, try and stop or at least cut back. Cigarettes are a major cause of high BP.

• Posted

Hi

I wouldn’t advise taking Ramipril. It’s a nasty drug, I hade severe pain in my legs and feet daily while I was on it, it was excruciating. Had to stop the drug, my BP is roughly the same as yours, I’m 49. I feel far better off the drug than I did on it. Probably better to introduce more veg into your diet, high potassium/magnesium veg. 

• Posted

Hey Jazzy, of course there are all sorts of natural, dietary, exercise things you can do to try to improve things.  OTOH ACE inhibitors like Ramipril are not "for life", especially if you're just on a low dose.  140/90 is kind of borderline, sure you'd like it to be a little lower, and you don't want days where it goes much higher, but every drug has at least a few drawbacks.  But at least don't worry about the "for life" business.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.