ihave been taking amitriptyline 25 mg for almost 10 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I am 18 year old boy

ihave been taking amitirptyline 25 mg for almost 10 months for sleeping problem and migraine headaches..... and this weeks school was off and igot really bored,deppressed and feeling and crying for no reason and anger,hate should istop and tapering down or increase the dose

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't do anything until you have spoken to your GP. You aren't taking Amitriptyline for depression, it's rarely prescribed for that now since there are a lot of new maternity drugs on the market. Only your GP can advise you on the doseage.
  • Posted

I really think you should go back and see your doctor if you are feeling this way. They will be able to help you

• Posted

It was my impression that young people should not take that drug. If you are feeling worse you really need to see your doctor again and put on another drug. Please see him or her. Don't do this on your own.
    • Posted

Amitriptyline is prescribed for young adults who suffer from migraines. A GP would not prescribe it if it wasn't licences for an 18 year old because prescribing is now strictly monitored.
    • Posted

I took it for sleep as well but it can also treat for depression as a side effect. If it treats depression as a side effect it can also induce depression as a side effect. Amitryptaline has quite a few side effects, please check with your doctor. That's all I am saying.
  • Posted

thank you a lot guys this means a lot for me

yesterday I met my gp and he said

I took damged pills that's why I feel this way and he gave me anew tablet and

told me he will look after me improving or whatever ...

hope I'll be fine in days with God

thanks.....

• Posted

hi Temu, I was on 25mg for nearly a year & recently came off them. I found myself feeling really down for the first couple of months taking them but it settled down after that. They didn't help with my migraine but I was sleeping so well, I decided to stay on them for a while longer. I went for a check up before christmas & there was a new doctor in the practice who suggested I wean off them & try some new meds. I'm now taking Vimovo alongside Imigran100 when needed & haven't had a bad migraine since. If you're still having issues with the Amitriptyline, you could try what i'm taking, I've heard from someone else since I started taking them that they too are having great results 
  • Posted

hello,I was tapering down for a month now ....

I mean jumping one day without talking....

I was feeling very well and

now I get really bored

have nothing to do at home without school

I am free whole afternoon and

gets really bored have nothing do at all...

should I go back to amitriptlyine ? for my mood? please help?

• Posted

Hi Temu,

You say you are now cutting down on Amitriptyline and are very bored at home without school - so, what are you good at and what would you particulary like to do with the time you now have? Are you a reader, or an artist etc? Try to fill the time with things that make you happy rather than letting the drug you are on dull your mind into doing nothing at all. You are 18 and full of promise for the future, please try to fill your young life with good and happy thoughts along with attempting to bring all the gifts that you have into something positive. Do you have someone to talk this through with as in a family member, a good friend? You perhaps should try to spend time with people your own age and become involved in activities that benefit yourself and others. All of these things are an alternative to staying on, or increasing the dosage of a drug that dulls your personality and ability to overcome your unfortunate problems of migraines and sleeplessness.I very much hope that you find help in positive ways to make your life better and more fruitful. Please talk to your GP again as depression in one so young needs help in more ways than one. Be a lot better soon.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing well - will email you privately over next few days. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.