Iipitor Atorvastatin Knee pains

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 43 yr old male, I had a massive heart attack in August 2014. I have always been very active in my work but was a heavy smoker, did not have a good diet and did not exercise.

I had my wake up call in August and stopped smoking instantly I completely changed my diet and I am taking daily exercise, that is until the knee pains hit me.

I had a stent put into my artery and was put on many pills at hospital, I had no information about what pills I was on until I started to research the pains. Upon leaving hospital I was informed that I had to attend the cardiac rehab gym and to follow the booklet to increase my exercise to get to 30 mins per day. I could not wait to start after a very emotional shock like I had. I slowly built up to a good 45 min brisk walk twice a day and have been doing this for a few weeks, well until just over a week ago.

I was walking and suddenly felt pains in one knee cap and around it, I slowed the walk down and headed for home. I ice packed it and elevated it but it would not ease. I did not sleep very well that night through discomfort and in the morning the pain was terrible. I had doctors appointments and mentioned the pains and was told it was due to me being new to exercise. After a week of terrible pains in both knees, one worse than the other, numbness in my shin to foot and aches in my ankle. My partner said she had been told at work about statin side effects. I did a lot of research and found page after page of issues with knee pains due to statins. I spoke to my Doctor who said I had 2 options either start lowering my dose or start in a very low dose and build back up to the 80mg I was on. I got the low dose but I have not taken them for the last few days and the pain is starting to ease so much so that I was able to walk around the block yesterday although I suffered with knee cramps for the rest if the evening.

I also have been sent for many blood tests and a glucose test. The Doctor called me yesterday to inform me that I was now diabetic type 2. Luckily I had the Pill hand out in front of my at the time that states that blood sugars increase on Lipitor. My Doctor looked up in his reference book and said your right! I now have an appointment to see the diabetic nurse. I am not convinced that I am diabetic and I am going to request a re test in a months time after I have been off statins for a month.

Has anyone else been in this situation as I am a little worried about stopping medication but the pain is unbearable and I only seem to be getting information when I search 

my list of side effects on Lipitor so is severe knee and ankle pains, sleepless nights, aching gums

I have started taking COQ10 as I know this is stopped by statins I am also taking vitamin d and b12 plus omega 3,6 & 9 gel capsules

I am very shocked that more information is not given to patients regarding these drugs also the information in the professional field. I called the out of hours doctor over the weekend to find out what pain killers I could take to help the pain, the doctor did not agree that it was the statins she said she had never heard of pains in the knees etc and to take 2 paracetamol and go to bed!

The main points I have been told by every Doctor is to exercise but how can you when you can't bend you legs to even go upstairs due to pain from drugs supposed to help you

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just been reading some research material about eating fruit to lower cholesterol after a couple of news reports and something featured on breakfast TV about apples specifically.  In a 'blind' test, a sample group of people eating one apple a day over a set trial period reduced their LDL by 40%.  Those taking supplements containing polyphenol extracts which is an active ingredient in apples, registered a much lower effect.  Apparently ...quote: 'not all antioxidants are created equal'...the specific effects on lowering oxidised lipid levels of apples is much higher than other sources.  The Victorian ethic of 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' is obviously not just a wives tale.  All fruit helps but for some reason, apples have a much greater benefit.  

Now I just need some new teeth so I can bite into one smile

• Posted

I've read that before.

Prior to going into AF after my heart operation I used to eat an apple a day. Then a tooth began to niggle and I stopped as I did not want dentristy when on Warfarin.

I evrentually had the tooth removed and did not start on apples again because ot the gap.

• Posted

Hi Derek, yes apples are known to affect the teeth, it's funnily enough the same process by which they aid vascular heath, ie oxidisation, that causes disruption to tooth enamel.  We cant win eh smile
  • Posted

Dave...80 mg is way too high in my book....sounds like statin myopathy to me ( something I have had twice and do not reccomend) I recently withdrew statins for 4 weeks following recent SM attack. I believe the American FDA have reduced Max dose of simvastatinn  from 80 to 40 because of this awful side effect. I get pains in all joints and in particular, the muscle ligament connective tissue. You end up feeling like the day after you have been in a high intensity workout in a gym. Because of your age, they are obviously considering FH as possible condition hence the high dose but you really need to get dose lowered as continuing with joint, muscle pain is indicative of creative breakdown and that can have bad effect on the kidneys ( ps...diagnosed with needing emergency triple heart bypass at age 44 so I know how you feel!)
  • Posted

I just read your article about knee pain and Lipitor.  I experienced the exact scenario, sans the heart attack, thank goodness. Anyway, I noticed your article is a year old and wanted to know how the rest of your story played out if you don't mind following through.  I have been off the statin for about a month now and have had days/nights without the pain, but then they will re-appear.  The pain is mostly in the back of my knee, deep in the muscle and in my same side foot.  I originally thought maybe I had a blood clot in there.  No pain relievers really help.  I am worried there may be some permanent damage and also read that in rare cases it is muscle necrosis due to the release of intracellular muscle constituents

nto the circulation. Would really like to know how your scenario played out.  Thank You and hope all is well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.