Ill health retirement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

I'm new here and would be so very grateful for a response. I've been off work for 10 months and only this month claimed ESA. I also get the low level of PIP, mobility. I just found out I've been granted I'll health retirement after 20yrs as a teacher. I finish this month. QUESTION: do I notify DWP and will my ESA be stopped because I get a pension? I'm only 43 and have a family to support through uni. I've only today had a letter telling me I must go for an assessment for ESA. Is this as bad as the PIP one? It might not be worth going if they will halt my ESA anyway because of pension. HELP

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

do you have over £16.000 in savings if you do htan it will be stopped.

But if you dont notify them than you could end up with a fine.

If not it will be good to tell them as could be beneficial for you and family

• Posted

Hi carly76343.     I believe any pension income up to £85pw is safe with ESA. Anything over that £85pw is reduced by 50p in the £. eg. pension £100 - £85 = £15.- 50% = £7.50. Pension left for you £92.50. I got this from another persons quiery on a different site. Also ESA assessments are just as gruelling as PIP. Do your"e homework before you go, HA.  Ta
  • Posted

Hi Carly,

As long as your savings are not over £16,000 then you need to inform the ESA.

However PIP isn't means tested so you should still receive this. I would check on the government website about savings and income, it will tell you what amount for PIP, which may also be £16,000.

although it isn't means tested so I can't see them stopping this.

i have retired through ill health and have a small teachers pension as I only paid in for 9 years due to a change in my job role. The rest of my pension is with the Local Government Scheme, however I've been fighting them for over one year now to access my pension as they say my condition may improve and I could go back to work. Even though my GP and the consultants say I won't! I get enhanced PIP and ESA in the support group, contribution based. I have informed them of my monthly payment and my ESA and PIP have not changed. 

Therefore as I assume my pension payment is low and therefore that's why they haven't stopped my ESA.

if you are in the ESA support group you can work part time, earn about £90 per week for 12 months and still receive both ESA and PIP.

after 12 months you can continue working part time if you can get the employer to support you in your job role. It's called supportive work. The employer completes a form to say you are being supported in your job role.

your lump sum from your pension will count as your savings, there is a loophole though where you can keep your benefits, you need to,see a solicitor for this who does it legally for you, whereby you put your savings or lump sum in to a trust fund!

it may be worth enquiringly about.

good luck with everything.

• Posted

I'm

Planning to pay my small lump straight into my mortgage so I wonder if this avoids it being seen as savings? Thanks everyone x

• Posted

Hi Carly

There is nothing stopping you paying off your mortgage with your lump sum but the DWP will still consider the amount you receive as 'savings'. Anything over £16000 will see a £1 reduction in benefit for every £250 of savings over the £16000 threshold.

Post assessment the important thing is are you placed in the Work Related Activity Group or the Support Group. This is important for 2 reasons one in the SG you have no need to actively seek work and as such can't be sanctioned, two ESA in WRAG is only considered contribution based for 12 months then it becomes income related. In the SG there is no time limit and your ESA stays CB for as long as you are in the SG.

This important because the £85pw rule explained above applies to contribution based benefit only. Income related ESA sees your benefit reduced pound for pound and any pension which pays more than the ESA rate means you will receive nothing in benefit.

• Posted

Hi Carly

Sorry I explained the savings wrong. The disregard threshold (where no reduction is taken from Income Related benefit) is £6,000 not £16,000. The £1 reduction for every £250 over £6000 continues until you reach £16000 when any IR benefit is stopped all together.

Contribution ESA is NOT affected by savings. CB as explained is only affected by the £85pw threshold as explained above by gettingonmypip

• Posted

Hi Carly

I was medically retired from work recently after 25 years working and had my pension realeased.   My ESA asssessment was better than the PIP assessment and the nurse was very understanding.     I was placed in the WRAG for ESA and had to have an interview at the Job Centre with one of the advisers.   She understood my condition and could see how tired I looked.   I am going to ask for MR re this.   Even if you are medically retired they can think you are suitable for work!! and does not automatically qualify you to be placed in SG.    Good luck with assessment and just tell them exactly how you feel.  I think I read some where that even you do not end up getting any money your NI gets paid - may be wrong.

• Posted

Hi first of all google Govt. site and lots of info will come up re benefits.  Second even if you aren't entitled to any money it is still worth going through it.  The reason is you would be seen as having an underlying entitlement to it which could open up a raft of other possible benefits.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.