Illeopsis Bursitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

ok, approx last 6 months, I've been woken up, by a massive cramp, pinching, stabbing pain from my butt to my knee, but was nothing I couldn't manage, and once I got walking would resolve.

slowly, over time, the pain level, and intensity has increased. I have pain 24/7, it's definitely a nerve type pain. Even sitting to standing and vice versa is painful. I was diagnosed a month ago wit illeopsis bursitis, and being a RN, had not heard if this before, and yes, I admit, I became Dr Google! But, it describes the pain, but everything states it usually resolves with adequate rest in three to four weeks! I received a cortisone injection a fortnight ago - BEST 4 hours I ever had, sadly though, once the anaesthetic had worn off, was back to the same and over two weeks later, yesterday, he gave me a double dose, as for some reason, I have a tolerance of a flipping elephant! I've had in the past 20-50mg of Diazepam etc, and a dosage that high is almost lethal, but for me? I'm on the buzzer an hour later, bright eyed, wanting to know how long until the Diazepam works! Same with narcotics, yes, treats pain, but need massive doses, and what would kill the normal person, AGAIN,makes me hyperactive and Ido t get sedated in the least!!!!

My Dr aware, I said my father is the same, so maybe I inherited a messed up gene or something. 

Anyway, yesterday, I returned, after taking a week of begging for an appointment as the pain was so bad, I could not lift, raise arms above shoulders, every pace I took was like a knife being jabbed in my butt, and I could not weightbear for more than 30 seconds without having to sit. Being a single mum, rest is impossible, which I know doesn't help, but everything I've read sai it's a common problem with active or athletic people - and let me tell you, I'm definitely not an athlete, I get breathless running 5 metres, but I am active all day, from 0300-2100 are my daily work hours etc. 

Again, I felt the "pop" as the cortisone injection penetrated the bursa, and again, instant relief, no pain, went in limping on crutches, came out ready to go clubbing!!!!!  But, again, woke up this am and pain has returned and is as bad a second it was before the injection. I had originally thought it was sciatica, until it was discovered to be the illeopsis bursitis. But why isn't it getting better? Why and how long? Will I be like this forever? HELP!!!!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I can sympathize with your pain, I was diagnosed with bilateral trochanteric bursitis (in both hips) 3 months ago after being in so much pain every step.

I have had 2 rounds of physio and not allowed to do any exercise since diagnosed.

I now am taking rest, by which no running, hiking etc and it seems to have almost fixed itself.

After my last physio session I was advised to get the steroid injections but thought I would take it easy and see. I was in continued pain and bruises from the physio and I think it kept the problem going.

Now been 3 weeks since last physio and starting to get back to normal. I can swim now as well.

I have no answers for you, but I am trying to avoid steroids as I have had it before for my shoulder and helped initially, but came back.

I hope you find the solution that works best for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.