Illeostomy reversal waiting time

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had a loop illeostomy for about 2 years now due to having problems with a rectovaginal fistula. Now that I have had my fistula sorted they said I could have the reversal. I have had my pre op assessment and hadn't heard anything and when I rang up they said there is a long waiting list up to 6 to 8 months. I was told by my plastic surgeon when he discharged me that I needed it as soon as possible as my muscles might not work properly. No one seems to care. Im worried that I will end up with it perminantly which I dont want. I also seem to be getting a lot of abdominal pain unsure of the cause at the minute seeing GP but I dont know if that has to do with the illeostomy. I wish I could go private but not sure if the cost would be too much. Just so depressed right now I just want it gone.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chesterluc

It is very unusual to have a pre - op assessment and then have to wait 6 - 8 months for surgery. In my experience after i have had a pre - op assessment i have had my surgery within 2 - 3 months. I think you may have been misinformed by whoever you spoke to. I would say your procedure will be sooner rather than later. Is it possible for you to ring your Consultants secretary who will the info on your forthcoming surgery?...

• Posted

Hi Chesterluc

Sorry...meant to say "who will have the info on your forthcoming surgery..

• Posted

Hi mary19068 it was the consultants secretary that told me that when I rang. I dont have a date 😞

• Posted

I would go private whatever the cost. There is no price on your health; the NHS is such a mess now.

• Posted

Hi Chesterluc

Mmmmm! i think she may be exaggerating somewhat. Is the plastic surgeon your consultant?. if not, i am sure he or she would have sent a report to your consultant indicating the urgency of surgery. I would contact your doctor and ask he/she if they have a report on the urgency of the surgery and ask your doctor if he would contact your consultant regarding what you have been told about the 6 - 8 month wait...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.