Im 16 and need someones help...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m a 16 year old girl and for a long time ive been sleeping excessively, anytime I can. Normally I sleep for over 3 hours in the day no matter what I’d done during the day. And 10 at night, For example, if I got home at 4pm after school, I’d be tired from 4.30-6 so I wouldn’t do anything productive at all, then end up giving in at 6 and sleep till 9 or 10. By the time I wake up I’ll still feel drousy because ive slept for so long, and I feel down because its another day where I’ve slept for hours, and its something I hate doing. Even typing about it, its got me choked up. My family tell me I should just snap out of it and stop sleeping, and ive tried telling them its a lot harder for me than that, but they don’t understand. Tonight, I realized its got too much, I set a timer for say, an hour, but it never works, I’ll just turn it off and sleep again, and when it happened today, my mum jut started shouting at me for sleeping, because she wants me to stop, but she doesn’t understand how hard it is for me to stop. If I don’t sleep, I feel lifeless and like I have no energy to do anything, but if I do sleep, I still feel lifeless and as if ive got no energy. Its really effecting me mentally, im quite a healthy person, I eat healthy food and exercise, but sleeping so much has really stopped me from doing a lot of things, this includes school work and revision for important exams. As a result of this, my grades have fallen a lot, and its all building up. I want to stop this before it gets too late, I sit my gcses in 6 or 7 months and I need to do well to achieve my goal. I just feel like I cant be bothered, I have no motivation, and I know it sounds bad but if I could choose between living and not living, I would choose not living, because its so much easier, I feel like im doing no good at the moment and really have been searching for inspiration, but I cant find any. I used to think it was simply that im a teenager and that im lazy but looking round at people my age, theyre all doing fine, none of them are as bad as I am at the moment, it just makes me feel extrememly un happy and I don’t want to go to the doctor because I don’t know if it is worth it and even if it was, my parents wouldnt understand as they’ve got their own problems at the moment.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Rosie i'm Nick, just to let you no don't keep getting stressed out ok, find an exercise to help you, granted if your parents have problems but i di insist on going to the dr and write all down what you have typed aboved. Maybe you have glaucamonia i know thats spelt wrong, and need to change your diet a bit, do these with drs assistance, that's your first setp forward into helping yourself. My brother has a high metabolism rate then is zapped out of energy afterwards when he has easten and done activity for about 40 mins to an hour after, Don't set such a big task by yourself, you are still a kid, the Dr will listen to you. Nick x Let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

lol sorry about spelling
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to read all of that, and the last time i went to the doctors, I told them my problem but they didnt do anything about it, they told me it was just in my mind and that it should go away if i trained myself to stop sleeping after a while, but I've tried and nothings getting any better. Maybe i should go back and tell them nothing is improving and sure, thanks again Nick x
  • Posted

Firstly at night do you sleep all the way through? If not then your brain isn't giving you enough sleep, you're kid who is picking up your parents probs, that in itself is going to nmake you want to sleep if you are struggling with that, i've said this before but keep a detailed diary of whats going on, don't go back to the gp with attitude but express to then that is affecting your life to a point where it is unacceptable.
    • Posted

Erm, my biggest problem isnt sleeping all the way through, thats normally not a problem, the hardest part is getting to sleep in the first place. My parents problems aren't major, although i think about it, I dont spend much time thinking about it. I'm Hopefully going to see a doctor or gp soon and see what they think the problem is..
  • Posted

Hey Rosie

Rosie I urge you to see your GP. My ex girlfriend had the same symptoms and was diagnosed depression. The sooner the better trust me.

I'm a 24 year old guy and can relate to what you're saying. If you need help, it's best to talk to people. Speech therapy is supposed to work. It's much better than tablets. 

Regards

• Posted

Hi james,, Speech therpy sounds alot better, I really struggle with tablets as n ive never been able to have one in my life, I cant even crush them up and have them that way. I kind of feel like im refusing to believe its depression, which isnt helping, but thank you for replying, Im going to take your advice and see what happens. cry
  • Posted

Hi Rosie

Your parents dont want to believe there iscanything wrong with you apart from laziness. I am a parent and a grandparent and we are the last ones to think our children might have a real health problem. However you know how you feel yourself and I would recommend being really independant and going to a doctor or a school counsellor and telling them what you have told us. Then someone outside your immediate family knows and can give you their advice based on what they consider is normal or not normal. They deal with these types of problems all the time. Your parents have only their own children to learn about and they cant know exactly how bad you are feeling, because you are trying not to worry them.

You are avsweet girl. You deserve help and you can get it. A problem shared is a problem halved.

Hugs xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your message, I'm going to see a doctor soon and see what they have to say about it, hopefully I won't have to feel like this anymore.. Lots of love xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.