Im 17 and yesterday i was told i have COPD.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I just want to know more about it. im only 17. im terrified. 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear  Faith. Who told you you had copd. I find this hard to believe that such a young person could have it.  
  • Posted

This is next to impossible for someone of your age. Can you please explain your symptoms and how exactly did your doctor came to this conclusion ?
  • Posted

I was originally diagnosed with COPD Emphysema and put on an inhaler at age 30. I found that too hard to believe, and unfortunately decided to disregard the diagnosis. So here I am at 2 weeks past my 50th birthday, and my lung collapsed. I needed lung surgery to staple shut the hole in my lung caused from the disease causing air sacks that had burst. And they tell me that my other lung is worse so this could happen again at anytime. Trust your doctor. Do as he says. Most importantly QUIT SMOKING IMMEDIATELY. I wish I had. Now I need to use medicine plus oxygen at night.
    • Posted

I feel sorry for you Jeannie...just out of curiosity, how much do you used to smoke and for how long did you smoke ??
    • Posted

I started at the young age of 13 years old. Early years I smoked a pack a day. Then it was maybe 1/2 a pack a day. But when I would have an alcoholic beverage (or so) I would smoke 2 packs in an evening. But I believe that this disease is just as all others, it is going to hit each individual differently. So if a person gets a heads up that smoking will harm you quicker or more severe than the next person, believe it. I stupidly thought that because my siblings and friends had no problems, then why should I? But the answer is that every "body" reacts differently to everything.

• Posted

P.S. I quit the day I entered the hospital. Been 2 months now.
  • Posted

I agree that you are much too young.  I would seek a second opinion and follow through to see if is a hereditary issue.

Try to stay calm and use your resources to confirm that diagnosis.  I had issues when I was 40 and was stupid not to quit puffing.  Now at 56 I am on the transplant list.  Ask questions and compare diagnosis.

• Posted

May i aslo say i have never smoked in my life time.

• Posted

I would suggest another opinion. What are your symptoms?  Do you work around pollution ie smoke dust etc.  I am at a loss why someone so young would be diagnosed with COPD. Perhaps others will be able offer more suggestions later in the forum.

Try to stay relaxed and don't believe everything you read on the internet.

• Posted

I didn't get it off the internet and i have gotten doctors options and tests done on me. And no I don't work around pollution, dust, or smoke. 

• Posted

I am still confused with the diagnoses. What did the doc. do to come to the conclusion that you have COPD ??
    • Posted

Unfortunately, my pulmo says that 25% of COPD cases in the US never smoked cigs.

But: were you given spirometry tests, also known as Pulmonary Function Tests PFTs? No COPD diagnosis is valid without that.

What let to this diagnosis? Were you in the hospital? Was it made by a nurse, or a go, a pulmonary therapist or a pulmonologist? Whoever it was, you have the right to go back and ask why you were diagnosed.

Presumably you were given some meds and a regimen. What are they?

• Posted

Should say, were you diagnosed by a nurse, a gp, ,,,
  • Posted

I apologise if you felt I used the internet to reference your diagnosis.  I meant more of looking up the disease itself.  I have done it a lot and it just tends to breed insecurity when you can not confirm with a medical team.  Alpha-1 antitrypsin (AAT)  - have you been tested for it?  I have twice and it is genetic usually.

Again sorry if I was abrupt

• Posted

Hello there, at on 17, I feel that perhaps you need to see the doctor again and explain your fears, ask him for a full explaination of your condition, what to do, where to research your particular type of copd, what would have triggered the problem, what you need to do to help yourself, what further tests do you need to discover how your lungs are operating etc, find out as much as you can, ask him to advise you where to look. Who to see, etc. the more information you have to work out exactly what is wrong copd is just an overall umbrella for many types of respitory illnesses. Try not to upset yourself at this stage until you know more. I admit it is very traumatic, wishing you lots of success in finding out exactly what is wrong and what caused the problem, and is there a way to fix it or at least slow it down. Special thoughts to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.