Im 47...should I get the chicken pox vaccine? !

Posted , 1 user is following.

Im looking for Drs comments here (i thought that this was what this webpage was for?)

Ive never had chicken pox (confirmed test recently) and am wondering if i should "fix what aint broke" and get the vaccine. Im 47. I dont want to be MORE susceptible to chicken pox and therefore later in life more susceptible for shingles, if i get this live virus injected! Dont know what to do but whatever ive done so far has worked!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes if you haven't had the inoculation in the past

Definetly get it done

You can still catch the virus but it's a lot milder and without the injection it can cause complications in adults also shingles which can be very painful

I'm an medical practitioner with 25 years experience so that's my advice

• Posted

I understand that you cannot get shingles if you have NOT had chicken pox as it's caused by the chickenpox, (Varicella Zoster) virus re activating as it stays in your nerve endings for ever once you've had it. If you've not had it, it cannot reactivate! I've had shingles in the last year, not too serious and I had chickenpox as a child but NEVER  had the vaccination with the live virus. You should go on the shingles forum, not this one, (abdominal problems), as shingles is NOT an abdominal problem. A lady named Merry has made several posts on the shingles forum, explaining everything from a professional point of view and as a patient who's had shingles. That might help you make you're mind up.I don't know what kevin30685 has practised in but I doubt if he's a medical doctor anyway. Hope this helps. rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.