im a 29 year old suffering with severe depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive been suffering on and off for the past 2 years, but about 4 months it became worse than ever. I am currently taking SSRIs, which i have been for about 8/9 weeks.This was due to me being subjected to several issues of stress from different areas in my life. Then on the previous saturday i suffered a breakdown, which required me being taken to the hospital. I was shaking, sweating, chest pain, palpitations, severe head and neck pain.I was so frightened. I have been back to see my gptoday who had upped my dosage of the meds, but im just wondering if there is any other way i can make myself feel better? Any advice would be much appreciated x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, How are you doing since upping your meds. I think I am going to have to up mine after not feeling too good on tghe dose I am on. Just never seem to feel well! I
  • Posted

the right dose is crucial but it is very early days atm as really needs a good 3 months to get into system. Other than medication, the usual exercise advice and healthy eating advice makes a lot of difference to moods and feeling better. Talking therapy also helps enormusly re drpression but maybe at a later date. For time being , just be kind to yourself, accept you need to have a bit of time out form prob a streessful life and wait the improvements. You will get there. Lots of advise re similar situations of people on here though so spen some time reading them all- lots of good advise form people who have been where u r at the moment. Take care xx
  • Posted

Exercise when you are ready is one of the best therapies. Maybe you have a friend you could walk with even? Just take it slowly, you will get better. My mum had severe depression and had to be hospitalised and she is doing well now.
  • Posted

hi rachybaby82,

my depression has gotten worse of late also,went to the Doctors but they wouldn't increase my meds(fluoxitne 20mg a day) but did suggest Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). It's a talking therapy and It can be done face to face or over the phone,so I'm going to give that a whirl!!

CBT has been shown to help with many different types of problems. These include: anxiety, depression,panic, phobias (including agoraphobia and social phobia), stress, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder and psychosis. CBT may also help if you have difficulties with anger, a low opinion of yourself or physical health problems, like pain or fatigue.

• Posted

I totally understand where you're coming from. I'd definitely recommend some CBT, it's helping for me - now just to get off the pile of meds I've been given - 12 tablets per day and no better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.