Im afraid to take my prescribed medication (Fluoxetine) what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with OCD and General Anxiety Disorder. To help cope with my severe panic attacks, I have been prescribed 25mg of Fluoxetine. I started taking it on Friday, and so far my anxiety has only gotten worse, to add to that I just passed out because of a panic attack about 20 minutes ago. My main phobia is getting sick and vomiting, and for the past few days I suspect the medication has been giving me a sick bell,throwing me into attack into attack, its a vicious cycle. To add to that, I have to start going back to school tomorrow and my grades are very poor, giving me a lot of stress. To make things even more stressful I have not been sleeping well due to my attacks. I am contimplating to stop taking Fluoxetine completely, even though my parents and therapist Have told me to take it for the next two weeks so that my body can adjust. I really don't know what to do at this point, I know if I keep taking my medication, I will most likely keep having attacks. My worst fear is that I am going to have an attack while i'm at school, those are always the worst. I do want to get better though, just knowing I can finally help rid myself of my anxiety and OCD tendencies makes me want to try to push through this. I don't have exactly the most...supportive family to go talk to at the moment, hence why I am here writing about my issues. I guess I want some input on what I should do in this situation, because quiet frankly, I don't know. Also I would like to know generally how long these side effects occur before the actual effects start to happen. Thanks a bunch for reading. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for all the grammatical/spelling errors, I can't figure out how to go back and fix them.
  • Posted

Hi! I'm the same as you, I have commit phobia and so I didn't want to take my fluoxetine! On 2nd November 2015 I had a break down and was told to take citalopram (a different antidepressant) or else I'd have to be admitted to hospital as I was becoming a danger...it's now February and although o still have bad days I'm doing great to say the least! The first 2 weeks were tough, and changes were slow, but in November I couldn't eat and couldn't leave my bedroom, but recently I've been eating 3 meals, snacking on chocolate and even going to work and uni...id listen to your dr, honestly it's a tough road but even the tiny changes make it so much easiersmile I sleep much better now, my only continued side effect is a dry mouth which I can deal with lol good luck smile
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your response. smile Im very nervous about the upcoming two weeks, but somehow I know I will get through them. Im glad you are feeling better. 
  • Posted

* vomit phobia and ocd.

Oh I forgot to say! I started noticing small changes within about 3 weeks, attacks less intense and was able to eat a little, and gradually since then it's got better. This week has been tough as I've had uni and work every day so I've had some attacks but I'm so much better than I was, if you're unsure maybe ask for a smaller dose for a week and then the larger dosesmile but it tends to only be bad reports online, people don't go online to say how something was good, so the likelihood is that for every page you read of someone being sick on these tablets, there's hundreds that haven't wrote anything that haven't been sick smile I wasn't sick, I had a good few panic attaxks (worse before better) but it was bearable smile

• Posted

Wow, you have no idea how relieving this is to hear for me. The side effects I am experiencing at the moment are pretty annoying, but nothing serious, besides the nausea. I have another question by the way, does the medication improve your general mood at all? I am not diagnosed with depression, but I can't exactly say I am the happiest person on planet Earth. Thank you for your time and responses smile
  • Posted

I didn't even really have nausea! I had jaw clenches, tingling in my arms and legs, a headache and the dry mouthsmile

I wouldn't say it improved my mood, but I'd say it makes me more level, I'm never really down, and because of that, it makes me feel happier anywaysmile so in general I do feel like my moods better but I think that's down to more rational thinking rather than relying on the tablets to do that smile I still have horrible anxiety, but the tablets seem to help me think 'wait..' And be a bit more rational with what I'm thinking smile I've had horrible anxiety again for 3 days straight, but before this I've been relatively okay, it just comes and goes now rather than being 24/7smile

• Posted

This is the oldest and safest med out there I tried paxil got me so sick I went to the er twice I tried busbar made NY blood pressure go threw the roof I been on Prozac for two months it literally took this long to work but I was just like you in bad attacks but now I am fine I stuck it out I am glad I did. Give it time to get into your system it works. Good luck god bless I know you will do fine.
    • Posted

Hi im starting fluoxetine 20mg for anxiety and depression i hope it works because im so scared to take it because i don't want to freak out so can you still me how does it feel to be on it please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.