Im an alcoholic

Posted , 9 users are following.

Im considering drinking after 18.5 months of sobriety. Will I be safe to drink on naltrexone??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I doubt it. Why would you want to drink, and then take a drug (with possible side effects) that dampens your desire to drink?  
  • Posted

If you...drink....I think you are going to really regret it (congratulations on your 18.5 months!)...

I am an alcoholic...I was sober 8 years...and I drank 3 years ago...and I regret it so much. 

Right? Wouldn't you think that after 8 years...I could have a drink and NOT go back to the spiraling slow death of alcoholism?

No...So, if you have your mind set on drinking...than I would definetly try to get that pill...but as pistal said..it is designed to have you not enjoy the drink as much...and has side effects....

I hope and wish for you that you can dig deep..find what is troubling you so much that you think you want a drink...you have gone this long..probably thru many struggles..and have not had a drink....why now? sad

• Posted

If you can do without the drink, do so. But if you feel you can't hold it back, then Naltrexone would certainly stop it from setting it's claws so deeply into you, if you take it an hour before your first drink of the day. There have been a few that have started up again after a long period of abstinence and have done well with The Sinclair Method (which uses Naltrexone or Selincro), but TSM only works in about 80% of people with Alcohol Use Disorder, so have a "Plan B" in case things don't go the way you expected.

• Posted

Hi Chung.

You don't say WHY you are considering starting drinking again. A big step to take, unless you struggling to control the cravings for alcohol?

TSM with Nalfemene or Naltrexone has not got a 100% gauranteed success rate.

Kind Regards

JulieAnne

Thinking of everyone on this site as always

• Posted

18.5 months sober! Well done Chung. You can but? Why are you taking Naltrexone if you want to continue your alcoholic career?
  • Posted

You really shouldnt drink in my opinion. Alcohol is just a poison at the end of the day in any amount so why go back to it? I have given up before, went back, then off etc currently on day 6 sober now and i am determined this is that my last drink actually was my last. Still tempted, more so today because of stress but so glad i didnt give up. Even managed to pour vodka down the sink yesterday, a first for me unless pressured into it. Look, you have done so well. If your under stress or something, try and talk it through with someone? You dont need to do this, with or without tablets. You have proven that because you have come this far so really well done, honestly. Chat more to us on here if things are tough for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.