Im at 6 nearly 7 wks post op and feel im not doing what i should be!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Im nearly 7 wks after tkr and am 49!! When reading lots on google i feel most people are waking unaided at my stage. I can walk a bit round the house but to much which isnt more than from 1room to another my hip kills me. Im very frustrated as 2 wks ago my physio said my bend was only 77 im trying so hard with exercises but feel like im not achieving enough. Its such a hard thing to keep my head in the right frame is anyone else struggling with keeping positive. Please tell me your experiences! I am working hard but didnt realise how hard this would be. Thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Debbie. Sorry to hear that you feel you're not doing so well. I had a TKR back at the end of November - I'm 50. My progress was really slow, I was frustrated and disappointed at the slow rate at which I was progressing. At 7 weeks post op, I too was still using a walking stick, my bend was around 75 deg. Unfortunately for me my bend did not improve and in January I went back into hospital for an MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic). This has improved my bend - it is now around 100 deg, but to be honest that's when I'm really pushing it. 

I don't want to be the voice of doom and gloom but I just want you to know that you're not the only one! When I was having problems I posted on here and was amazed at the number of people with the same issues. Everyone else I had spoken to prior to the op said they were up and about and back to normal and so that's what I was expecting, but, everyone is different, and it just didnt happen for me. 

One tip I would give you is to make sure you on top of your pain relief as that was my biggest downfall. It took 4 or 5 trips to the doctors over a period of 6 weeks to get on the right medication.

It's still very early days for you yet, try to be patient (though I'm a fine one to talk), I'm sure things will improve for you with time.

Good luck.

• Posted

Aw Alison thank you so much that has made me feel so much better that im not alone in this struggle. Im sorry obviously you struggled but thank you for telling me as i know its not just me. My pain is under control which is good its just the stiffness thats the prob. Im due to see my surgeon 21April so really dont want him to say its got to be mua! Did it set you back at all or did it just help you progress. The thought of maybe having mua is scary! But whatever is necessary. I appreciate your comment thanks
    • Posted

To be honest, the MUA was the best thing for me. I too, was totally freaked out by the thought of it, and my whole experience of being in hospital for the TKR really made me not want to go back in! But it really wasn't that bad. It was very painfull for a few days after but I was just so relieved to see some progress. Unfortunately even under anaesthetic the surgeon could only acheive a 120deg bend so it will never be great no matter how much physio I do! I think thats my biggest disappointment, that whilst the pain isnt as bad as before, by mobility is far less than before the TKR. 

After the MUA I also used a CPR machine. Your leg is placed on the machine and held with straps and it literally moves it up and down for you, but you control it yourself, raising the bend by a few degrees as and when you feel comfortable. I kept this going for 15 hours straight and even managed to nap through it, I thought it was brilliant, I would have taken it home if they had let me!!

If you do need this done, please don't be alarmed it really isnt as scary as it sounds.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on, it can really help to talk to someone else who's been in your shoes because as supportive as friends and family can be, no one quite understands it until they've had it done!

Feel free to ask me anything else, I will try to help if I can.

Take care.

• Posted

Thank you you are a star you have helped me get my head round mua! If i need it i will except it to help me! This is a long process especially as i normaly lead a very busy life! You are right when you say family and friends are great and supportive but its lovely to talk to people that know how you feel. Thanks a lot x
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

Theres people on here with more knowledge/experience than me,but Im sure theyll tell you its early days. I am much older than you,67 now 66 when I had TKR on right knee. But I was extremely fit. I was nowhere near walking unaided at 7 weeks. Probably still using crutches. but I think we are all different. I dont always believe other people I acually meet,take more notice of posters on this site. I have a friend who is proud of the fact,if it is a fact that he was driving,and "out and about" as he calls it at an earlier stage than me. Its not a race,but I have more than caught him up. Maybe people will advise you to go back to the hospital,but Im sure you will get good advice here.

• Posted

Thanks John my hubby says im doing well and expecting to much of myself. I know i shouldnt compare really we do all heal differently. Thank you for your comment. I am at physio next thurs so will chat to them. In the meantime i wil keep working hard. Thanks
    • Posted

Thanks for your thanks Debbie

Sounds like you have a supportive husband. And I think hes probably right,but its a very common mistake. I thin k we all make it. Stay on the forum Debbie,its great.

John.

• Posted

Debbie

This is why these forum are so helpful, I can't really speak to one knee TKR because I had both mine done at the same time.But what I can tell you is that everyone heals at a different pace. I was depressed because I was comparing myself to people who had one knew done so of course I was sad. Now I understand you can only do what you can do. Now days being 10 weeks out today I am stiff and my knees hurt I don't sleep like I used to bed or surgery but from reading these forums it's all normal. Stop comparing yourself with other people be the best you can be listen to your body and your doctor.

Hope this helps keep your head in the game you will have good days and bad days give your self a break.

• Posted

Thanks Tana that is so true. As you say good days and bad. Onwards and upwards. This forum is so good for making you feel better i appreciate your comment and wish you the best with your recovery to. Both done together you are brave! I have artharitas in other knee but am hoping ! Lol
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks post op today.  Played 9 holes of golf at 7 weeks ago. Bend was 128 at 5 weeks.  I used a bending machine for 10 days after surgery for 4 hours a day bend was 100 3 weeks post op.  Everyone is different. I've not recovered knee still gets stiff exercise every day.  I had a prostate procedure 5 weeks after TKR still having some fatigue. I feel it may take 6 months to a year to recover. Good luck try and stay positive.  
    • Posted

Gosh you did very well with your bend! Well done. I will keep working on it! Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

At 6 weeks, I was was walking around the block, with one crutch or a stick.  It was still hard going (lots of concentrating so that I didn't trip!).

I had also just started driving short distances, as knees still u comfortable (although my first kne...the accelerator one was the more uncomfortable over the bumps).

Week 5 can often be a difficult time, but you'll get through.

Patsy

Right TKR Dec 2012 - MUA May 2013

Left TKR Sept 2014 - MUA Mar 2015 - re-opened Sept 2015

• Posted

Thanks for your encouragment patsy. You had to have mua both times that was a shame. If i need it i wil be strong. You sound as if you are doing well now. I wil keep trying!
    • Posted

Actually...I'm not doing well at all.  I had my left knee re-opened and scar tissue removed last Sept.  I was doing well for a few weeks and then it started to stiffen again.  Since I went back to work in Dec it has been getting progressively worse and I am in co start pain...with a bent leg.  I'm now trying hydrotherapy, pain relief and acupuncture.

I'm just one of the u lucky ones, I'm afraid.

You are still at very early days though and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.