im due to have gastroscopy but have bad anxiety towards and meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi im due to have a gastroscopy on monday im so nervous as i wont be able to have sedation or throat spray has anyone else had this done without both. thanks 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have not had one, but might brave up one day and have one.  As much as sedation scares me, I know I could not go through it without having it.  Can I ask why you can't have the throats spray at least?

• Posted

I was nervous. BP was high. They still did it with sedation. They gave me fentanyl. Then verses so you don't remember anything. Don't really knock you out. Drugs you up. Had no problems. Woke up feeling great.

• Posted

Yes, I have and would again.

Easier said than done, I know, but keeping calm is a big help. Breath slowly and relax your shoulders. 

Not for everyone but I found it a big help to know exactly what would happen. I was given a illustrated leaflet on arrival but if you Google endoscopy the info is there. I think it's on the NHS website.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry. Correction. I did have the throat spray; it tasted like advocaat! 
    • Posted

so you had it done with no throat spray or sedation that has made me feel much better im not anxious about the actual procedure it the medication i cant deal with thank you.
    • Posted

ok well il have to just try get throught it without thank you.
    • Posted

Pauline, see my correction. I'm really sorry to have mislead you about the spray.  Definitely no sedation, though. I drove myself home afterwards. The spray only relaxes your throat which helps the tube to go down easily. It does not feel paralysed and afterwards I was just warned not to drink for a couple of hours to give it time to get back to full strength. I seem to remember that the patients who had sedation were kept back and would be given a cup of tea but they let me go straight away so you can see that the spray does not have any very strong or lasting effect.

• Posted

I had both upper endoscopy and also colonoscopy both together.

My dr used properol to put me to sleep . It is wonderful you go to sleep wake up dont remember a thing. It's fast and safe. You do have to put a line in your arm so they can inject the proporol into your vine. Ask if your dr can use it. Good luck.n

• Posted

Propofol gives you a state of decreased consciousness and lack of memory. Not really a anesthesia. Used with a anesthesia. Like fentanyl. Your not really out but you think you was. Lol. Took me 2 days to shake the drugged up feeling from that stuff.
    • Posted

I had only propofol no fentanyl

And woke up stayed in rec about anyl 1 he went home never felt drugged. Have had fentanyl mixed with another drug with my back operation woke up sick vomited for 4 hrs.v

• Posted

Yuk. I slept like a drunk baby. Stuff wouldn't wear off. Always tell them you wake up sick after anethesea . They will give you stuff to prevent it. Even if you don't. It can't hurt you. Rather take a pill or get IV drugs to prevent it then wake up sick. Had surgery in June last year, they gave me a pill worked great. Had surgery in november last year. Told anestesiologist I wake up sick. He ignored me. I woke up fighting to not get sick for 2 and a half hours. They kept me in recovery cause of it. Finally they called that clown up. Made him come down. I wanted to smack him around. He ordered the pill I had before. In half hour I felt great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.