Im getting a hysterectomy on the 23rd of Feb. My sons wedding is on March 18th. Will i be healed by

Posted , 7 users are following.

Endemetriosis is reason.I know there is no guarantee, just wondering if I will be well enough to attend my sons wedding 3 1/2 weeks after

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey,

You will be able to attend your sons wedding just so long as you are very careful, don't do any lifting, the rule of thumb is don't lift anything heavier than a kettle for about 6 weeks I'll also say here that you musn't do any pushing or pulling(ie.vacuuming etc), you can just sit and smile sweetly lol.

• Posted

And possibly cry a little. :0)
  • Posted

Hi Stacey.

I'd advise you to choose your outfit now so no stress after the op. Something comfortable, maybe a non fitting flowy number. You will most likely still be swollen and tender. Carry a fan and water spray in case the hysterectomy throws you into menopause hot flushes.

Be prepared and enjoy the day 

• Posted

Hello Stacey I hope you so not mind me asking how long did you have to wait for your hysterectomy I live in Norwich iv rang hospital they said there is a 40 wk waiting list and Iam on week 21
  • Posted

My Mum attended my brothers wedding 10 days after rib to pelvis cancer surgery, incl hysterectomy, and still on pain killing drip, taken back to hospital afterwards.

I acted as mother of the groom, for dances and greetings to door.

Younger sister a nurse had organsed with Dr's to have pain killing injections on hand if needed, and topped up mums drip a couple of times during the 4 hours she was there.

You will be fine, surgery these days more like a bikini line incision, just a feeling of tightness which may be still there at 3 weeks, but if you go really slowly and have someone to help you if you need it you will be fine.

As per previous posting, clothes organised before hand, remember you are going to have some swelling post surgery so loose fitting, or jacket or coat over dress to cover a multitide of sins, high heeled shoes probably not a good idea either, have some flats available if heels won't work for you, maybe heels for photos only. 

Best wishes and enjoy your son's wedding day.

• Posted

Hi staceylynn, I had a total hysterectomy using the keyhole method; removing the tubes and ovaries too. That was 5 months ago at the age of 72. (I sound old I know, but I assure you I'm still very active and always on the go). My operation for cancer (uterus) went really well and I was feeling pretty good straight away. I was in hospital one night only and home the following day. Within a week although I felt back to normal I did as I was told and took care not to overdo things. Of course you'll be fine for your son's wedding but just make sure you do more sitting than standing. And, remember to sit and rest lots for the first few weeks anyway and then have a really good result. Enjoy the wedding! Love - LadyPink

• Posted

As long as you take it easy when you leave hospital and do as you are told, no lifting, housework of any sort, no baths (showers are okay), you should be okay.  Just look after yourself and don't worry about anything else.  Your tummy will probably be swollen and tender.  If you are travelling in a car with seat belts, then take a small cushion to put between the belt and your tummy for protection.  |I wouldn't wear heels as they can make you feel unbalanced sometimes.  I found that low wedge heels were fine.  I went to a birthday party wearing some wedges that I found and was fine with those.  I had to wear loose fitting tops for a while and for the party I had a pretty tunic top which covered my tummy with some trousers.  Hope you have a lovely day.  By the way I had a total hysterectomy with a vertical incision 5 months ago and it is still a bit puffy and I still can't get into my tight fitting jeans as yet, but I can get into some of my trousers now, so it does take time!  Other than that I feel great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.