Im getting surgery march7th. Im getting scared

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im a corrections officer and after walking at work for to long my ankle starts to hurt. My doctor says I will be in a bandage for 2 weeks than a cast for 6 weeks. Im getting scared listing to everyone. I need to know if I will be able to stand on my foot by the end of may.this other job I've been waiting for might start in June. Should I get the surgery?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

To add to my question when I'm not working it itsnt that bad. It hurts but I feel like I could live with it. But I would have to find a new job. I don't have much light duty were I work. How long would it take to be able to walk or stand on it? Please help

• Posted

Hi Karyn,

I replied to one of your other posts as well. You are in a tough spot. Getting a good job is important. It seems to reason that you will have to expect that it could take 12 weeks for the tendon repair to be considered healed, and then you will have to go thru some rehab and strengthening. So the deadline is rather tight for you. I was informed that tendons do have a shelf life, so if your injury is fairly recent, it can make the surgeons job easier, and thus your recovery may go quicker. If you have to put it on hold, I suppose you would also have to consider when it would seem reasonable to ask your new employer for 12 weeks off work down the road. :-(   If you do go ahead with the repair, I would also suggest you do some meal preperation ahead of time (freezer meals) assist with lunches and dinners the first few weeks. And have people lined up to run your errands, and maybe assist around the home in light cleaning etc. You may find the first few weeks to be exhausting with just showering and dealing with very basic things. I also tell people to have bags around you can load things in to transport. And thermos' or travel coffee mugs are handy too, for moving around liquids etc without spillage. I also got creative at using rubbermaid containers, that I could fill with soup , hot food,  cereal, etc, and then put the lid on and take to an area where I could be comfortable and enjoy.  Super sorry you have to go thru this. Just remind yourself, thats its going to be a small speed bump in your life, and the outcome means you will have better stability and no pain.

• Posted

Dear Karyn

I know it may sound easy to say but don’t be scared....  I personally suggest that you do not hold back on the surgery if it is the best thing to do..... it is more important you are fit and healthy forst rather than rushing into a job half healed as you could do more damage in the long run which therefore could have more of a detrimental effect on your work life in the long run.... get better, get fit and then you will not have this concern lingering for longer than it has too.... I always remember the saying “look after you health before your wealth”!!

Be strong and do what is right now for your health and things will fall into place and just be honest will your new employer!!

Best wishes!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.