Im looking for some advice on mitrazapine 45 mg for 10 months

Posted , 7 users are following.

My depression has lifted thankfully but ive put on 2 stone in weight which is getting me upset. Currently doing slimming world and exercise but cant get rid of the weight. My doctors reducing my dose back down to 30mg but im scared i get sick again. Has anyone else had problems xx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kaz

This drug is renowned for weight gain.  I speak as a runner who whilst on 15mg for 5 months put on nearly 10 kilos.  This made my anxiety much worse so I stopped the drug.  I think the only way to lose this drug related weight gain speaking as somebody that  exercises as part of a way of life is to stop taking it.  That is easier said than done however as I found out to my cost.  The weight does come off if you stop the drug.  Perhaps you could visit your gp and ask for something that is weight neutral.

• Posted

Thanks for replying so soon. Ive spoke to my doctor there reducing my dose from 45 to 30 for a few weeks then 15 then slowly onto another antidepressant. Im just so scared incase i get ill again but the weight is just piling in so feel i have no other choice than to come off it. Where you ok when you came off x
  • Posted

This drug is well known for weight gain I was on 15mg a night then cut back to 7.5mg then stopped tried cold turkey for 9 days worst time of my life I am now taking something else the weight gain is depressing in it self I have notice my weight coming of I have changed to another antidepressant for my fibromyalgia that I’ve recently been diagnosed with so not taking any wasn’t a option just not mirtazapine if you can lower your dose you might not get the side effects of the weight gain if that’s your only side effects of it which was my only one but it totally up to you if you need to stay on a antidepressant you can always try another one that doesn’t have that side effects but it’s definitely known to stack on weight 

Happy to tell you what I’ve bern put on now for anxiety and to help me sleep 

❤️❤️

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply could u tell me what one your on now and i could maybe ask my doctor. Was the withdrawel bad for you im so worried.
  • Posted

Just letting you know the withdrawals from mirtazapine are horrendous so don’t let your doctor lead you to believe they’re aren’t any 

Yes you do put on weight but that only because of what you eat carbs are difficult to resist 

• Posted

I’m still trying to reduce I was on 30mg and started reducing December 20th I’m now on 6mg and suffering 

When you reduce don’t think your going mad it’s the withdrawal from the mirtazapine I wish you well 

• Posted

I was hoping they would reduce me to 30 for a few weeks n start me on another i would probably struggle too going down so low. Im so scared but im just getting heavier n heavier each week i go too a gym and eat so healthy n go to slimming world but its not doing any good x
  • Posted

Panic attack’s, heart palpitations, anxiety, headaches, dizziness, head pressure and more!!!
    • Posted

Its not easy is it. Im dreading it but dont know what else too do. On slimming world joined the gym eat healthy n im getting bigger x
    • Posted

Hi kaz - your are in a difficult position, but at least you know why you have put on the weight. I've been on 45mg mirt for years and did put weight on but am one of those who could afford to. My advice would be to continue with the withdrawal from mirt and remember that there will be effects from this. Your doc sounds good given that he is transitioning you in the proper manner. Keep him informed. This will take time to deal with, but you'll get there. The very best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply i appreciate it i dont talk to anyone about it just found this forum so its helpful xx
    • Posted

I’m on of it now went 9 days cold turkey was the worst 9 days of my life so then started taking 7.5mg at night I was coming of them due to being diagnosed with fibromyalgia so my doctor wanted me to try something else but that didn’t agree with me ether the weight gain is the worst I have noticed it coming of now but I’m now on another antidepressant day 6 feeling good and it has no weight gain side effects I would love to not take any but for now I just do definitely just tapper of as slow or as long as you need to good luck hang in there ❤️❤️❤️
    • Posted

Can i ask what one your on now so i can say too my doctor x
    • Posted

Allegron Nortriptyline 25mg so far so good I haven’t cried in 3 days I’ve slept ❤️
    • Posted

Hi Donna!

My doc wants to use Nortiptyline as like a last resort if the Mirt causes too many unpleasant withdrawal side effects. She wants me to wean a mg a week and be done in 15 weeks. I am nervous. But I am even more nervous to have to try yet another med that could potentially have horrific withdrawals.

• Posted

Im weaning myself of mitrazapine absolutly terrified of the side effects 😢

• Posted

How far along are you in the process?

I have been on mirt for a year, highest dose I got to was 22.5 and now I'm back down to 15 mg.

• Posted

I’m taking nortriptyline 25mg one at night helps with the anxiety and sleeping I’ve tried milnacipran was on mirtazapine but had to come of that to try the milnacipran oh my god worst 9 days of my like honestly thought I was going to die I started the milnacipran on day 5 tried that for 2 weeks hated it then went back to mirtazapine 7.5mg but that antidepressant is known for putting on weight so now taking the nort which is working well I believe my symptoms of fibromyalgia started 2 years ago and the doctor put it down to menopause I take on OxyContin in the morning or I can’t straighten my back once it kicks in I’m good I’m sore but ok to do things I get tired of I over do it my back neck shoulders elbows and now my ankles are hurting I’m seeing a Rheumatologist on the 9th of April o guess to confirm what my doctor already knows I’m worried he is going to say no you shouldn’t be taking that pain medication well sorry but it works for me I’ve tried tramadol doesn’t help panadine forte nope so I’m going to see my GP on Tuesday because I’m stressing about it all I’m willing to give the hemp oil a go seriously it’s so farked my dads sister has it and has since she was in her 20s but back then I think they thought she was crazy took her till her late 30s to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia I know my body and I know I should not be in this much pain and I do get on with my life as much as I can I’m 47 I had 3 operations last year my doctor thinks that’s what triggered it off to be as bad as it is now but I know it started 2 years ago when all of a sudden I couldn’t sleep then has really bad anxiety and I have never ever felt like that before it was sudden 

So there ya go that’s my story or should I say small novel lol 😂 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.