Im new and got anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Just joined today hoping for a bit of support, I have had depression for years and its been manageable had up and downs but mananged to hold down a job and pay the bills.

Then Bang I start getting these attacks which cripple me, I cant get out of bed most days been off work since December, the symptoms are so real I have been to A and E twice in the last month thinking I am taking a heart attack or a stroke, I feel so stupid when they say its all in my head but its all very real to me.

I live alone I dont lock the door at night incase I take a turn and no one can get in, I cant leave the house, if I have a doctors appointment I get a taxi there and back.(which I cant really afford0

I have to try and get back to work or I will lose my flat SSP does not go far.

Doctor is not much good I still take my anti depressant but for the anxiety Ive been out on a 3 month plus waiting list for a therapist.

I'm at the end of my tether.

Work think Im pulling a fast one, they are basically saying pull yourself together.!!! Does anyone understand????

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Taking meds alone generally isn't the best idea to move forward, especially for longer term issues. Discuss some therapy with your Dr,it may be the best idea
    • Posted

Yes as I said I am on the waiting list for therapy, the list is 3 months+
  • Posted

Hi there

I know exactly what you're going through. I too have suffered from depression for years in and off and then last November out of the blue I had my first panic attack which resulted in me being taken to A&E - I've never experienced anything like it - I thought I was having a stroke. It lasted for about 4 hours and left me exhausted. Since then I've been a mess. I've been giving propanalol which help but give me terrible headaches. I'm waiting for my hospital appointment not sure what they're going to do to help but will try anything. I'm trying to be positive and take little steps each day so that I can at least achieve something. Anxiety is a real illness and needs to be recognised by employers - it's just a shame that some employers are not sympathetic to mental illnesses - they need educating. Stay strong be kind to yourself don't beat yourself up. Take each day as it comes. I read that you can get better and that's what I hold on to.

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I've felt similar for a long time. My GP reccomended a 3 x 1hr course that focuses your mind. Theres no talking except my the instructor. Its helps you to fucus your mind with some very simple exercises.  These are not physical excercised, they are all done in the mind, so it doesnt matter wherea you are. I do mine on the bus, in work, walking... it really does helo. Its called Mindfullness.  Ask your GP.

take kare your stronger than you think. X

• Posted

Tell you that I have suffer with anxiety for years, 16 to be close.  You have to push through the fear, and gain courage.  Trust me I went to work and suffered the panic attacks, other symptoms, you name it.  You are letting fear get the best of you, and your letting it win.  You may want to try talking to your doctor about klonopin for the severe attacks so you can go about you daily life. Even then your going to have some anxiety, but there is courage gained in every step you take to over come your anxiety.  There is a saying that I would use as a mantra for myself, and you may try it is well "Feel the fear, and do it anyways"  Consider this, has you anxiety killed you yet?  It has certainly made you feel uncomfortable, I know this for damn sure! But we need not let fear rule our lives, "A life lived in fear, is a life less lived!"  Go gain some courage over you fear.  Courage is only gained when we feel the fear, and do!  Have your doctor rule out the possibly of physicologicals like possibe thyroid imbalance.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice I am normally quite a strong person, I will try anything to beat this
  • Posted

Yes I understand only to well ! Pull yourself togetherReally !!Ignore that.What do they know you have Drs reports so try not even think about that. I think getting back to work is the best plan. You will feel more normal and just that will reduce your anxiety.Could you meet your boss may be out of work and explain you need support to get back to work. May be phased back in. Your employer should offer that.Anxiety is horrid and it thrives on uncertainty.So try take small steps everyday. Take the steps as soon as you see progress you will be lifted.So slowly does it.Don't expect to want to make the Steps but take them anyway.You will get better. This isn't for ever I promise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.