Im on just 2.5mg escitalopram, has anyone had such a low dose??

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was prescribed nitrazepam for short use and Zoloft for long term use at first for panic disorder and mild depression after the sudden death of my younger sister and undergoing an emergency ectopic pregnancy surgery all within 2 weeks.

I stopped Zoloft because the side effect was unbearable and i almost lost consciousness! Scary!

I was prescribed escitalopram 5mg start at night, but the start up side effect was on another level all together, so my Doc decided, instead of going back and forth with meds, i can start at 2.5mg escitalopram and slowly increase. I did, i had the start up effect, though not severe.

Currently i take abt a quarter of Nitrazepam (1.25 ishh) daily from 5mg previous dose, for about a week and hope to discontinue once i feel the full effect of the escitalopram, but i keep reading that people are taking 10mg, 20mg, and im just wondering, can 2.5mg really do much for me? Could it be that the Nitra is the active one here and not the escitalopram?

Help!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Supposedly, the therapeutic dose of escitalopram is at 10 mg. and higher.

?That being said, I have read about a few people (very few) who find 5 mg. an effective dose.

?I personally haven't heard of anyone who have found 2.5 mg to be an effective dose, but I would imagine it's possible.

?I think you are doing the right thing though, by starting at a low dose, and working up slowly. Maybe you will just have to be on the nitrazepam a bit longer, until you feel you are ready to increase the dose, and that dose kicks in.

• Posted

Ok thanks soo much for the response.

Hopefully all falls in place...

• Posted

Ama... I’ve been on Lexapro sense Dec. 30 ,2017.. I started out on 2.5mg once a day then after a week 2.5 twice a day and I moved up very slow to 15 mg. And then had to bump back down.. I’m on 2.5 mg. Twice a day now... with that said... I’m doing better on 2.5 mg. Twice daily than I was on 15 mg. .. I’m very sensitive to meds. But most people do not realize how powerful Lexapro is.. after just taking one dose of 2.5 mg. My panic and aniexty was gone and I’ve suffered from GAD and Panic disorder all my life do with that said .. that’s a pretty powerful pill... I think a lot of us get in a big hurry bumping up when a lower dose might b more beneficial for us.. so I’m staying at 2.5 mg. for  now.. So I would encourage u to take it slow .. very slow and see what happens.. Best of Luck..
    • Posted

Oh waow!

I feel soo relieved to hear this, because this medication is soo powerful, i feel the effect of just 2.5mg soo much that i just wonder if ill ever go up.

I also feel that, the fact that i have reduced the Nitrazepam to such a tiny dose ( a quarter of 5mg) and have no panic attacks or anxiety should mean that the 2.5mg is somehow begining to take care of them? : /

Well, once i slowly get off Nitra finally in a few days, i will be able to say for sure how i feel staying on just 2.5mg. I hope i just stay here, because this drug is the most powerful drug that i have ever had to take, its soo strong! Gives me a very strange type of feeling once i take it at night.

Thanks for the response, im grateful!

• Posted

Yes it is very powerful.. and yes my am 2.5mg. No problem but my 2.5mg. At night gives me a few side effects.. so 2.5 mg . May b my stopping point also.. I may bump down again and not take my evening 2.5 mg. I can always bump back up if I start having aniexty and panic .. I know for some they need more than 2.5 r 5.0 mg. But like us we need way less to get the same response.. just hang in there.. time will tell..Keep us posted..😊

• Edited

AMA,

so sorry for your loss. I lost my 26 year old daughter 3 years ago. I was on zoloft for 20 years at the lowest dose but it pooped out. I tried Prozac for 8 weeks and it did nothing. I’ve been on 10mgs of Lexapro for 15 days and praying it works. I take a 2mg diazepam in the am to calm myself. Hope it works well for us both.

• Posted

Sorry for your loss, we all pray for the best in our lives.

I believe escitalopram has better reviews than some other AD meds, so just stay positive...

But im just curious when i hear people say they stay on meds for as long as 20years and i want to ask, when the meds were working, did you feel entirely normal? Did you do everthing like every other person? Please pardon my questions, we are all learning from the stories others share.

Expecting a response,

Thanks.

• Posted

Yes no anxiety at all while on sertraline. I had one other episode before and treated with elevil. I decided to stay on them.
  • Posted

There's a lot of reasons medicines react very differently for some people. One factor is the enzymes we carry vary from person. Like some people can drink a pot of coffee and some people (me) can barely tolerate any caffeine. That's why you should always start with a small dose and sometimes that might be all you need.

• Posted

hi, i am on week 3 of lexapro and i was also started at 2.5 mg. i was just bumped up to 5 mg and i am on day 4. it seems really strong. im super sensitive to medicines and wondering if this might be too much for me. My heart starts racing and i feel out of it- stoned in a shaky kind of way. Wondering if you felt the same way and if you are still on 2.5 mg? did that work for you?

thanks for your help!

• Posted

Hi, MY Doc said starting at 2.5mg Lexapro was fine... I think any dosage change will bring on side effects... for some, mild... for others, intense... were you feeling much improved on the 2.5mg dose? I always wonder... if a dosage is working... why change it, even a low 2.5mg?

Maybe take 2.5 twice daily, am and pm... if you really think you need a higher dose... in this, I would go with MY gut and how I feel, not necessarily the Doc's opinion... it just may be that 2.5mg will work for you for a long while...

JMHO, but I think lots of side effect "horror stories" are from people being started on doses way too strong... happened all the time with statins... I am VERY sensitive to all drugs... so starting slow is mandatory for me... and if I feel much better... why go higher?

GL to you!

• Posted

Are you still taking the 2.5 mg of Lexapro? I was at 2.5 and last week increased to 3 mg and I find it is making me more depressed. I have the liquid so I can adjust the dosage. I am also very sensitive to medication.

• Posted

I actually had to stop the 2.5 after just a few days... it made me feel crummy... BUT... and this is important... I think it was due to me smoking "herb" at the same time...

I recently started again... this time on 5mg... stopped smoking the herb... and am having almost no side effects, knock on wood, after 5 days... I can feel it... and it is relaxing my mind already...

I think sometimes a "too low" dose can give you the side effects without the benefits...

I re-started because all I read... IF you get some unpleasant side effects, they only last for 2-4 weeks... yes, that is no fun... but if you feel bad enough to start the Lexapro... it is worth pushing through until they acclimate. You might ask your Doc for some Alprazolam or Lorazapam to help you through the acclimation period... careful to not overuse them though! Exercise is better... long fast walks will do... but if side effects are bad... the tranqs can help. GL to you!

• Posted

i just saw this posting and was wondering if you are still on the 2.5 of Lexapro. I am having issues when I try and increase my dose. I have the liquid and recently went from 2.5 to 3 mg and I find myself feeling worse.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi. I just got on this site- not sure if you all r still on _ saw your post - albeit 8 months old- hope u r doing well - getting discouraged w side effects-very uncomfortable- newly on Lexapro 5 mg - & very sensitive - but i hear it can really help. Take care

• Posted

hey. how do you have 2.5 in liquid, the liquid formula is 20mg/ml, one drop is 1mg.

how do you make the half stop? 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.