im worried sick as my bf has a ct scan tues after chest xray

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi my bf has had a cough for over a year it seems worse in the mornings,he never coughs through the night,we keep fit by runing 3 times a week and he does boxing to,he smoked 20 yrs ago but only for 5 years,he said his chest feels tight sometimes and whheezey,and sometimes short of breathe,hes 42,we went to the docs last year an they gave him an ashtma pump to try but it didnt work so we went back last week and they sent him for a chest xray,he had a call last week to say he had an ap for a ct scan tues then to c the consultant fri but as he works wev managed to arrange that we c the consultant 3 oclock tues now the same day as the ct scan hes having that at 830 in the morn,im so worried theyve found something i cant think of anythingelse,has anyone else had a ct scan??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I hope he's gone to the MD, those coughs are not to be ignored especially since he smoked.....my grandkids dad smoked 30 yrs and quit when my grandgirl was born but it was too late for him.....a cough going on for a lot of years and he ignored it....he was 55.

I HOPE he is ok...

• Posted

hi joy thanks for your message,the consultant couldnt find anything wrong and thinks he may have ashtma,he had a blood test done to but they havent got back to us with any results,im just releaved he hasnt got cancer,i was worried sick,sorry to hear about your grandaughters dad thats really said 55s no age is it,wer going back on the 4th nov so ill let you know what happens x
  • Posted

Hi Hayley,

CT Scans are normally used in the remission period of cancer, not normally prior to a Chest X-Ray though, for a cancer check. The normal routine if cancer is suspected by a doctor is they ask for blood tests first, to look for markers in the blood. If this comes back positive then he would be send for X-Ray and CT Scans.

I have had many CT Scan's, to be honest I hate having them done, X-rays I have also had loads done and blood tests. Now all these were done after I had cancer removed, in my case I had testicular cancer. Prior to actually finding I even had cancer, I was being treated for an infection for 6 weeks. I lost my father to colon cancer at 68 years old, what made it worse was I was diagnosed with cancer the same week of my fathers funeral. It was a stressful time in my life, because my youngest daughter whom was 8 years old at the time, did not think I was coming back from hospital, after what had happened to my father only a few weeks before.

I smoked for 30 years before I packed it in, and I did not pack it in even after I had been diagnosed with cancer, I know that does sound stupid. I did try and give it up several times but carried on, and yes I had the "smokers morning cough" as well. I lacked the will to give up - which did not help, even my Oncologist stated you're probably going to shorten your life span.

The on one morning in January 2012, I awoke with the most terrible pain I ever encountered in my life, coming from my stomach, little did I know that I should have listened to the Oncologist, whom I was still seeing in remission at the time. I was rushed down to surgery, under went a 5-6 hour operation - when I came around they told me went on. I was dying from the inside out, part of instestine had turned gangrene which was removed. 2 days later when I should have started to improve in my health, I became worse!! I was rushed down to surgery - I did not have time to sign the consent form, because the operation needed required to be done quickly. My wife was asked to stay at home, and prepare yourself for the worse. She couldn't sleep and waited by the phone for the surgeon to phone back. About 7 hours later, I was out of surgery - still in pain, but I was on alot of painkillers. My surgeon came to see me, and said what had happened... 2 days previously when part of my instestine was removed, part of it was touching another organ which had caused that to start dying off.

I was lucky, but still had to spend 3 weeks in hospital, and the full recovery was 10 months, the pain was unreal. I was on an Epidural (yes, the same given to women during birth) and morphine, that is when I decided to never smoke again in my life.

I feel so much different now, everything I can smell - unlike before! That was 2 and half years ago now, and I have never even craved for one either. The other week out of interest I seen the price of them! and thought I burn't all that money!! What have I got to show for it, yeah, just scars!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

hi les god sounds like youve been through alot i hope your ok now,your family must have been worried sick about you,i got myself in a right state looking on the internet at ct scans and cancer kept coming up,he did go for the ct scan and the consultant couldnt find anything wrong thankfully they think he mite have asthma and hes got to do a blow test morn an night and fill a chart in and go back on the 4th nov,he lost his dad from emphasemia so i was worrying about that to,he only smoked for 5 years tho and keeps fitĀ  we run and he does weights an boxing the consultant said hes got strong lungs,if it turns out not to be ashtma he mite have to have the camera put down,he had a blood test to but they havent got back to us about the results,ive never smoked but i bet it is really hard to give up if you do,im glad everything turned out ok for you
    • Posted

Hi Hayley,

Well, at least thats put your mind at rest, my daughter has asthma but only in the Summer (pollen sets it off) and in the Winter if she has a cold.

Me, I'm in pain 24/7 and take 140+ tablets a week that includes Tramadol, which they are trying to get me off and replace with high doses of Botox injections every 10 weeks.

That's not for cancer though, cancer remission just involves blood tests, chest x-rays and CT scans, from a blood test they can tell if you have markers in your system indicating cancer in your body, but not pin point it to a specific gland or area, this is why they do CT scans and x-rays, with testicular cancer they use ultra-sound.

What they state on TV to do is correct, regarding examining yourself - Some people would find this embarrassing, but if it saves your life its worth doing. Because of what happened to me, we have brought up our children, well they are, sort of (just around 20, minimum age is 19 to start checkiing) or even before, if there is known cases in the family.

If you think what I went through, my own Doctor was prescribing anti-biotics (like they do for anything these days!) to me for 6 weeks, and in the time 5 lumps were found, all of which were cancerous.

We brought up our children, to be open with us - and it has proved to work well. It is no good for a child to bottle matters up, regardless of what they may think.

Well, I'm glad your main worry is over, all the best.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

he did have a blood test but they havent got back to us with any results do you think if they had found anything they would have let us know?mind you the ct scan would have showed any signs of cancer up wouldnt it?an the consultant did say it wasnt cancer im just looking for things to worry about haha,not sure why wer going back on the 4th i think hes just got to take the chart with him so they can see the results of the blow test hes been doing,the apointment letter just says he has an ap with respitory an thoriactic team,yes i know what you mean about docs,my bf went to the docs a year ago about his cough and she said he had asthma he was only in there 2 mins she gave him an blue pump but it didnt do anything thats why he went back,he saw a dif doc an they sent him for a chest xray,then the following week they rang an said he had a ct scan booked,thats why i was worrying so much because i thought they had found something,yes i agree with bringing your children up to be open,and to check especially after all you have been through,i havent got any children yet only a dog hahahaha shes had her share of probs tho,she had a cancer lump on her back we thought it was just a wart,she had that removed,she also has addissons disease which humans get to,so shes on steroids for the rest of her life,and now she has a hematoma on her ear,her ears all swollen with fluid in it wev had it syringed about 5 times but within a week it swells again so she mite have to have an op on it,very expensive!im trying for a baby at the mo,i fell pregnant last month but misscarried 4 weeks in this is very common though in early pregnancy,i could be pregnant again now for all i know im going to do another test in a couple of weeks.
  • Posted

Hello Hayley,

I had that problem, and ended up coughing 24/7. I never smoked. Monitor the complete blood count and look for an increase in white blood cells. Mine turned out to be a rare blood cancer. The white blood cells overproducing slowed my red blood cell production, and affected the oxygen they carry around the body. If the RBC's are low and the IgM is high, I suggest a bone marrow check.

• Posted

hi thanks for your message sorry to hear that how are you now?he had the ct scan and they couldnt find anything wrong they said he hasnt got cancer or emphasemia,the consultant said she thinks he may have ashtma and he has to do a blow test morrning and night and write the results down on a chart,he has to go back on te 4th nov,i am so releaved i was so worried,he also had a blood test but they havent got back to us about the results so im guessing that they didnt find anything bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.