Imaging of old strokes

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello.

Does anyone know for how long a previous/old stroke can be seen on an MRI with regular sequences (T1, T2, FLAIR, diffusion weighted imaging) ? Is another type of imaging more suited?

How much do these risk factors increase the likelihood of having a stroke; recent surgery to the abdominal area, prolonged bedrest, use of estrogen containing oral contraceptives, history of migraine with aura and frequent use of a high dosage of Triptan medication.

I would have calculated the approximate risk in my age (30) if I found any information on how much those factors increase the risk.

I was told that a stroke in the cerebellum could cause significant dizziness and unbalance and occur without the typical/classical symptoms of facial drooping, weakness on one side of the body or loss of feeling on one side of the body.

I got sudden unbalance/dizziness and a thunderclap headache at one time, but didn't go to a doctor. I also noticed some slurring of words, but not extreme. I've also had a little trouble expressing myself, usually taking a long time and being vague and not concise, with unnecessarily long sentences and frequent digressions.

The unsteadiness has later never resolved. My vision has also been slightly foggy and sometimes double vision. The unsteadiness has not gotten worse, just not better.

I can't walk a straight line with my feet in tandem. I had absolutely no issues with that before. When I've done it with a doctor I've stopped after three-four steps because I fell to the side and got uncomfortable. I was wobbling all the time. She said that she doesn't know how I was before and that the other tests were mostly normal. It was noted that I had a little difficulty touching the tip of my nose with my eyes closed, but managed to do it approximately.

I might be able to get an imaging done at some time, but I would like to know if it could possibly rule out that having occured five months previously.

The symptom started in may 2021.

I couldn't find a radiology forum.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.