imipramine or tofrinil.

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi anybody taken imipramine ( tofrinil ) before and how did they feel. did they get better im on week 2 of 5mg dont seem to have many bad side effects like the other ADs i took. thanx

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Like with many medications imipramine is a medication that can take a while before you see results. And to frustrate things even more .. What works for one doesnt always work for another . Its a stab in the dark and a try and die  effort. When i took it I had no side effect at all. It also depend on the reason someone is taking it. Its used for Migrains, chronic pain, depression, ADHD, anxiety, etc. so it really depends on the reason someone is taking it and how long you have been on it. A rule of thumb is to give a new medication 4-6 weeks before stopping. It takes up to 3-6 weeks for the body to adjust to it usualy the side affect go away after that. Its the 4-6 miserable weeks sometimes that seem to be the hardest.

A prime example is anti siezure meds. UGH... When I started on them I felt drunk , and groggy. So I had to take off work until i got used to the medication. It only took me about a week. but I litteraly felt drunk for a week.Once I adjusted to them I felt normal again . 

Imipramine has been successful in many different usages. God luck , it sounds to me like you tolerate it well.I hope it helps.

• Posted

ive been on them 3 wks today i also take klonopin for anxiety. im suffering from severe health anxiety and depression. i was on setraline and citolopram but i couldnt handle the side effects which were horrendous i take 5 mg at bedtime im going to see the dr this week he might up my dose. what dose were u on and how long did u take it??
    • Posted

I can not remember it was so long ago. I think 100 mg a day but not sure. 

But the dosages vary especially between adults and children. 

Im assuming you are not an adult (sorry if Im wrong) because the dosage you are on is what they start a child on . But even so the dosage you are on is for a young child which is not to exceed 5 mg a day 

adolecence is 30 - 40- mg a day  not to exceed 100 mg a day for depression

Adults usually start out at 75 mg and can be increased up to 150mg but not to exceed 200mg But if no response it can be increased to 250 to 300mg a day .Usually by week three you should notice optimal effects

Adolescents and geriatric patients usually start at 30-40 mg a day  not to eceed 100 mg a day. I  didnt know they came in 5mg dosages. 

I strongly urge you and eveyone else to always research the medications you are prescribed before taking them. learn what other medications, foods and conditions (like exposure to sun) can contadict the medication. Even antibiotics. Pharmacists and doctors are human and can and will make mistakes. Its happened many times to me.They either dont realize im on a medication that contradicts the other or they dont know the contadiction exists. So be your own advocate ask question

Always ask your doctor 1. What is the medication your going to take and what are you taking it for. 

2. when should you start noticing its affects

3. How long are you going t o have to take it

4. what are the side affects.

5. what % does the doctor think that it will work

6. Is that medicationthe safest, most succesfull medication for your condition

7 what other treatments are available and why this one.

. Never let a doctor rush you . Start writing your questions down days beofre your appointment. (I keep a paper on my fridge for easy access when I have a question I can just jot it down) 

Take that list with you .Dont leave until all your questions are answered. Remember the doctor works for you.You pay for thier services. So use them . If they dont like it then find another doctor thats willing to make you a part of your own treatment team. Be proactive not refracted. Information is a powerful tool. 

• Posted

hi sorry im 50 and he started me on 50 mg bcz he knows im sensitive to ADs i think he.ll put me up to 75mg this week if im not mistaken. thanx for the information i.ll let u know bcz im terrified of medication but my panic disorder was getting out of control and had so many physical anxiety symptons. i was literally going insane.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.