Imitrex/Sumatriptan for headaches?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone have luck with this medicine? I was recently prescribed this by a Neurologist for my terrible headaches. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Halyley,

It's one of the best abortive medicines out there for treating migraines on the market, you can get this product in several forms, tablet, nasal spray or injection.  For me if the pain is particularly bad, the injection works in about 10 minutes.  I also have good results with 100mg tablet too.  But you should have been prescribed a preventative med too, so the headaches are less severe and less frequent.  There are many available I have good results with Pregabalin and Verapamil.

Good luck Hayley and best wishes.

Let us know how you get on

• Posted

Hi Hayley 

Did your  Neuro diagnose migraines? I ask as you describe having terrible headaches, migraines are more troublesome than just the pain. 

I have been in sumatriptan for 20 plus years along with a preventive (currently changing) as previous poster, if migraines are frequent you need something to scale them down.

I find sumatriptan works extremely well for me, and wouldn’t have been able to continue working without it. I do get side effects from it (stiff neck, disoriented, tired, blurred vision) but these are gone within a couple of hours. Without them I would be suffering for over 24 hours. I always take Bucostem and paracetamol at the same time the sumatriptan, my neuro says taken paracetamol at the same time calms down the side effects. 

I think by reading other threads on here regarding migraines treatments, it is very much what works for you and there’s no one drug that suits all. 

I really hope you have great success with them xxx 

• Posted

Hi Hayley

the triptans seem to help a lot of sufferers with migraines.  I take Rizatriptan 10 mg ODT that melt in your mouth then swallow.  The important thing for you to know is that you need to take your meds on the onset of a headache....as soon as you feel one coming on.  If you wait until you are in pain the meds sometimes don't work. Triptans work well when taken properly.  They have been a blessing for me to have quality of life!

i wish you well.  We are all here for you! 🌷

wendy

• Posted

Yes, I take it. I only get 9 a month so, unlike another poster I don't take it at the first sign of a migraine. I try other options first - Excedrin, a hot shower, ice... I also take nortryptaline and magnesium, I guess as a preventative. Thanks to Imitrix, I almost never get bad (aura/ throwing up) migraines any more although I do still get a lot of headaches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.