Immediate effects of stopping

Posted , 32 users are following.

I'm mid 40's and have been a drinker pretty much all my life. Beer and then on to wine. Probably a bottle a night until a few years ago when the credit crunch affected our business and things got very difficult money wise. We have worked really hard and can see the light from the money worries but my drinking has got really bad. There is a date in the future when our money problems should be sorted and I'm almost trying to black out life until we get there. My wife went off and got a job which helped with money, leaving me alone all day. I was starting to find that I would enjoy the odd snifter of vino with lunch, usually ending in the bottle going, the afternoon wasted (work, not me) and then probably a couple more bottles starting when the kids got home. Completely stupid I know. When I read all the govt health stuff, I wonder how I'm still alive. 

Anyway, yesterday I called it a day. Had enough. I'm getting a bit fat and reckon I'm on a crash course to an early grave if I continue with this. Damage may already be done. I stopped. I had half a bottle left which I considered pouring away or leaving as a test but in the end, I downed it with lunch and that was that. No more sneaking around to the shop later on. The evening was OK, a little craving or two here and there but nothing much. The biggest thing was what to replace the glass with. Tried water but drank it too quickly so ended up with multiple cups of tea. Went to bed at about 11pm, pretty tired. 

By 3am I'm in all sorts of problems. Sweating, muscles aching, headache, hot and then cold. No craving, just felt awful.. Got up had water and pain killers and got about 3 hours sleep. This morning still no desire to drink at all but still sweating and feel a bit 'buzzy' (alive maybe:-)).

My question is to others who have gone cold turkey. Did you get a similar thing? I started reading about Withdrawl Syndrome which basically says I'm going to start have hallusinations and then drop dead, which cheered me up no end. 

I'm now wondering whether stopping so soon is such a good idea. I'm going shopping in a bit and was considering buying a little bottle of scotch, just for a night cap so I can at least sleep. Or is that just a silly idea? I 'think' I can resist and just have a double before bed but maybe that's nonsense. 

Help. I feel good that I have made this descision. Should I go through the cold turkey or is it too much of a body shock to go from 30 units a day to 0? 

4 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I went cold turkey two weeks ago. Was doing fine until last Friday night. I got very sick. Had severe withdrawal symptoms. By Sunday night I was in the ER fighting for my life. Had a +40*C body temp for 72 hours. Paralizing vertigo. Could not eat. Could not sleep. Permanent migraine headache. After having a full blown psychotic break from reality I could not recognize my family or even remember my own name.  I am better now and looking forward to a full recovery. What I am trying to say Tony is be careful. It can be a lot worse than you might expect. 
    • Posted

Hi Juanfo-

That's quite the experience. I am very glad you are doing better. Glad you sought medical help. Everyone is so different you are right. I have detoxed medically twice in the hospital. The last and my final time (thank God) I did do it at home and tapered off. I am certainly not a professional and can only tell my own experience; and let me tell you tapering was no ealk in the park either. The dreams I had or hallucinations, as they very well may have been, were brutal. I would wake up drenched in sweat and could not differentiate if I had just had a dream or it really happened. My last binge, and coming into sobriety, was so physically and psychologically painful that the memory actually deters any thoughts of drinking.

Congratulations on making it through. It's a tough one I know and it sounds like yours was just that. Glad you made it through and were smart enough to know you needed medical help. Good job.

• Posted

THAT is Delirium Tremens (DTs). A lot of people think that shakiness is DTs, it is not. DTs is a serious medical crisis in which people not only become very physically ill but suffer psychotic symptoms. It can turn to seizures, as Wendell mentioned earlier.

There are varying degrees of alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Starting with agitation and anxiety, moving on to nausea, shakiness and central nervous system issues (such as numbness or pins and needles in the fingers), shakiness, high blood pressure, high temperature and then DTs in the more severe cases.

Withdrawal symptoms can come on as soon as the body alcohol level drops below that which it is used to. However, it can be up to 36 hours after the last drink before the symptoms start. The progression from the initial symptoms to very severe life threatening symptoms can be very fast so no person should attempt to withdraw from alcohol when they are alone, in case of a medical emergency.

• Posted

That is just so awful! And after two weeks! That is beyond scary. I really wish I had a doctor here that could help me. From reading all the comments I am going to read more about Baclofen, as that is available to me, stick to one or two alcohol free nights a week and focus on tapering down in the meantime. Sounds good in a sober state right?
    • Posted

The symptoms built up. Every day worse than the day before until they peaked on the ninth day. I have detoxed alone at home a couple of times before and was fine except for minor discomfort and anxiety. This time I seriously underestimated the depths of my addiction. 
    • Posted

Ruby, you say your doc prescribed you with Diazepam. How much are you taking? I'm into my first 24 hours and other than feeling a bit hot I'm generally okay. I'm concerned though that everywhere I read about diazepam it states you should do it under supervision of professional healthcare workers for regular blood tests. My diazepam was prescribed for acute anxiety. I was an alcoholic but a couple of months ago started drinking again. I've taken my first day of diazepam after reading it could not only help with anxiety but also help me stop drinking which I thought I'd take this opportunity to do but now I'm worried about having horrific symptoms

• Posted

Tricky one Tony but do be careful and stopping completely from 30 to 0 units is a LOT. how are you now after so many days? good advice on this forum and do listen to sound advice from others
  • Edited

Some incredible and brave people on this forum.

I set the date - 1st Feb as my stop drinking day.

I was going to go cold turkey as cannon do 1 or 2 glasses.

I typically drink 1-3 bottles of white wine every evening. Sounds crazy, I know!

I still manage to get up every morning, deal with family and be successful at work. God know how?

I am desperately unhappy and feel trapped...

Need to stop but v scared that I wont succeed and even more scared of withdrawal symptoms.

• Edited

Hi.

How is it going then Ruby? Have you had any cold turkey symptoms?

I did cold turkey last night. I was on 1-2 bottles of wine every night. I had started to cut down because I'm getting fed up and started listening to a hypnotism cd which is helping. I'm fed up of being fat and not being able to lose weight despite trying.

Plus my partner confronted me and said he'd found the bottles I was hiding!

Plus my kidney/ liver aches too.

Last night I couldn't sleep and had sweats but feel so much better today.

I'm really tired and can't wait to go to bed early.

I'm really excited about the possibly of quitting for a long time and feeling better. but didn't enjoy the cravings at dinner time.

Going to have to buy some nice soft drinks.

Hope you are ok.

Xx

• Posted

Hi ,

I am on day 9 and it's ok.

My GP gave me vit B, Thiamin and diazepam- no withdrawal symptoms and I feel good but weird in the evening with no drink I feel a bit lost. Counting days to end of Feb. I so hope I will be able to control my drinking. At the mo is one day at the time... not easy but doable- weekend was very hard.

I was drinking so much and every day for so many years. I desperately want to control the beast but everyone around me is a social and regular drinker.

My hubby stoped with me and his commitment means everything to me.

Please let me know how are you getting on.

Ps

I crave sweets all the time but try to replace them with regular snacks.,,

Not always succeeding

Best wishes, good luck!!!

• Posted

One think that helps - its alcohol free bear and tonic water with angustura bitters - I think that helps to cheat the brain a bit.

But whatever helps me to avoid falling into the spiral of shame, tiredness, puffy face, bad breath, kids worrying, falling asleep at parties...

I am full of hope but not there yet... all rather sad and scary.

Good luck to you and everyone else who takes the first step ... to beautiful life ahead of us..

with hope

Rubymirriam

• Posted

Ruby, you say your doc prescribed you with Diazepam. How much are you taking? I'm into my first 24 hours and other than feeling a bit hot I'm generally okay. I'm concerned though that everywhere I read about diazepam it states you should do it under supervision of professional healthcare workers for regular blood tests. My diazepam was prescribed for acute anxiety. I was an alcoholic but a couple of months ago started drinking again. I've taken my first day of diazepam after reading it could not only help with anxiety but also help me stop drinking which I thought I'd take this opportunity to do but now I'm worried about having horrific symptoms

• Posted

Hello Tony

I wonder if you still coming back on this site as it has been a year since you posted this.

I am the same last night went cold Turkey and tonight I'm feeling particularly hot and sweaty.

I would to hear the full story.

Did you manage to stay sober?

I can't cut down as I always finish the bottle and then I want even more.

Take care,

Eman

• Edited

I’m 34 and have fallen into the alcohol trap myself. I have been drinking 2+ bottles a night for the past 3 years and am also desperate to quit. I have also made the ‘That’s it!’ decision. I have been doing a lot of research online regarding ways of safely giving up - but to be honest with you they petrify me! I have been advised by my doctor that I’m at serious risk of additional problems if I don’t quit - but have not been offered any support - just told to stop! Which is not that helpful! Normal liver levels are 38 and 3 weeks ago mine were sitting at 144. I’m scared but don’t know what to do! I would love to just quit cold turkey but I’ve read so much about the dangers of doing that! Please help/advise what I should do! Not just you Tony - anybody. 
    • Posted

Very few people have seizures, but there is always the risk. The main problem for people stopping is the side effects are unpleasant and the way to stop them is to have a drink and the circle continues.

Yes, if you continue to drink 2+ bottles a night (wine) you will end up with physical problems.

The problem with giving up, is the brain becomes conditioned to having alcohol and does not feel comfortable or normal when it is withdrawn. This can lead to all sorts of feelings, such as anxiety.

Alcohol hits two parts of the brain, the GABA (brake) and NMDA (accelerator). When alcohol is consumed the GABA brake is put on (slows the mind), so the brain/body compensates and the NMDA steps in and whacks the accelerator down hard. Only problem is the NMDA becomes jammed for awhile, the GABA brake comes off when the alcohol stops, but now the brain is speeding with no brake and the accelerator jammed.

In this period of stopping alcohol before the NMDA accelerator actually lifts off, the brain will race, hence those that find they can't get to sleep at night without a couple of glasses of wine, because when their hits to pillow, the brain is still racing and will not rest (perhaps anxiety as well). In certain people who are long term daily heavy drinkers, the central nervous system (CNS) will also become over reactive through the NMDA accelerator being jammed. This is what causes some people to have the shakes in the morning or severe cases, seizures.

To understand the CNS it is best to think of it like this. The CNS is part of the brain, spinal cord and the nerves that run through your body (this is a layman's description before any pedants arrive). If I were to ask you right now, to reach out and touch the screen with your finger, you would just do it by thinking it. Your brain sends a signal to the CNS, which sends a signal through the nerves and you arm, hand and finger move in coordination and touch the screen. When the brain is altered through alcohol, it gets overloaded and starts sending random signals through the CNS, like making your hand shake, or worse, seizures.

On to the bit you want to know. The three ways to come off alcohol if you suffer withdrawals in descending order are:

Ask your GP for diazepam. This is the most pleasant way that counteracts the withdrawals, the disadvantage is that GPs often say no. You could of course say that you wanted it recorded on your recorded of the refusal and that if as a result you ended up in hospital from seizures, that would be mentioned nad perhaps they might want to rethink.

Taper off. Another good way, bottle and a half (need to buy one bottle and two miniatures) for a few days, then a bottle, then a couple of miniatures. Trouble with tapering off, once you've had the taste, it's hard to be objective and stick to your guns. My own experience has been, it's easiest to get to a level where you won't have withdrawal symptoms and then just stop, it is hard getting down to small amounts, because having a bit is worse than none at all.

Cold turkey. Take a couple of days off, and hope for the best, have no alcohol in the house and no way of buying any. Obviously I am not advising this, merely stating than it is an option, if not a pleasant and possibly risky one.

Usual disclaimer; I'm not medically qualified, none of the above is a recommendation, purely based on someone who has been detoxed in hospital, home detoxed myself twice, cold turkey twice (not pleasant) and tapered twice. If you manage to stop, you need to think about staying stopped, that is the hard part.

• Posted

Hi RHGB, thank you so much for your message. I’ve been trying the Taper Off method - but I’d doesn’t seem so work for me. I got as far as 1 bottle of wine a night but was no longer getting the feeling I’m addicted to - so ended up increasing it again. My doctors have been less than helpful with the matter, but I may do as you suggested to get them thinking. I’ve been there twice to ask for help but each time nothing! I have self referred myself to a group that may be able to help me going forward but I’m a little optimistic. Thank you for breaking everything down for me. 
    • Edited

The medical profession doesn't see alcohol addiction as an illness, just people who lack willpower and that are lazy and feckless. The other thing is, alcohol addiction comes under mental health and that part of the budget is given to alcohol recovery centres, so GPs like to fob you off to them.

If you have referred yourself to alcohol recovery centre, don't get your hopes up too much, they are generally staffed by people with no understanding of alcohol addiction and how it affects people. They are also more interested in drug (heroin) users, which is their speciality (I speak from experience).

Your problem will always be, staying off the alcohol once you come off it. The two best routes are, a detox followed by Campral or to start Selincro now and let that take its course. Not doing that means you are virtually guaranteed to fall back into your old drinking ways, because your brain needs resetting from the alcohol.

Back to your GP, if you are up to it - many are to timid to confront their GP, you may try this.

Okay doc, I've tried tapering, but once I've had some alcohol, all my willpower goes out of the window. This is because alcohol has changed my brain. So only cold turkey or a detox with diazepam is open to me. Would you tell a heroin addicts to go cold turkey?

He/she will of course go,no way. At which point you mention that a person will not die from going cold turkey on heroin, but can from alcohol.

Google 'heroin vs alcohol cold turkey deaths' and print out some of the top results.

And then say, so you are recommending me to go cold turkey? That might focus them.

If you do end up going to an alcohol recovery centre, let me know. They do have doctors that can prescribe medication, but they never tell anyone. You have a right to see the doctor and ask for a prescription and unless there is a valid medical reason, he/she should prescribe.

• Posted

Hi, my doc said no to Diaz - but I questioned that she had given them to me a few years ago (one pack) to help with panic attacks.  So why could I now not qualify because the thought of seizures sure bring on a panic.  She thought about it and said you are right - so she gave me a pack.  I have not as yet used any. 

I have tapered from 20  units (2 bottles wine) to 2 units Monday to either Friday or Saturday.  I am finding the less I drink, the less I need, which gives me a real kick.  I do know what you are saying  in that, the one bottle gets you in the mood.  I started making it later in the evening, just looking at it as a reward say about 7pm.  And defo get some dark chocolate in - it makes the wine taste awful.  Then bed and a read to calm the mind.  That has helped me after years of abuse.

• Posted

Hello Jayne. I am joinging late and was wondering how your week has been? Did you join the group and are you getting support and feedback from others? Robin
    • Posted

Hi there

I wonder if you could offer me some advice please. I lost my job just over 2 years ago and live alone and have the willpower to just stop however, I'm still drinking during the day 2 bottles of red wine and I'm fed up feeling rubbish as I feel great when I don't drink. I had a scary seizure last year and ended up in hospital. I recently went to my doc to reveal all and got diazepam for a few days and no seizure. Called the doc yesterday as decided enough was enough this time and she said no and I need professional advice/her referral but as this takes some weeks and I want to stop now I've an appointment at a professional centre today I arranged yesterday. If I try the tapering method which is prefer not to as I feel shaky and awful. How much do I substitute daily to come off. Was thinking of beer but unsure what's best. Terrified of another seizure as I live alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.