Imminent Full Abdominal Hysterectomy - recovery period question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

I am due to have a full abdominal hysterectomy next week, along with the removal of my other Ovary - one ovary removed 15 years ago due to cyst.

Being 5ft 8 and just under 10 st (63kg/140lb), and physically very fit, active and healthy I was just wondering what every ones recovery period has been for the same operation and who has similar build to mine?

Also what is this about a Hysterectomy pouch????

Thank you

Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am much shorter than you (only 5 feet tall) and haven't had my hysterectomy yet.  However, I am also physically active with similar BMI and I would like to know as well. I am actually getting a bit sad about not being able to work out to my full capacity for a long time.
  • Posted

Had my hysterectomy done Monday and can't wait to get back training but although i feel great the thought of doing anything strenuous is last thing on my mind. I'm trying to go up and down stairs about 10 times and walking around the house as much as i can but getting on my cross trainer for a couple of hours and running and cycling etc will have to wait for a few weeks i reckon, and even then it will be 5 minutes at a time.  I kept having it drummed into me thats its major surgery and i so want to prove everyone wrong but i think they may actually be right.  I also would be interested to know what this pouch is as my belly isn't swollen at all and the scar and my belly is quite flat apart from when i stand up and lean forward a little bit of top part of belly hangs over the scar as the clips dont move, perhaps this is the pouch but standing upright no difference and i'm still a size 10 - 12 the same as before
    • Posted

What kind of incision did you have? Maybe that has something to do with the pouch?
    • Posted

Hi I to have got a swelling above my scar I went to the doctor as I was always feeling nauseous, he said I could have a collection of blood in my abdomen so if you have a swelling seek medical advice 
  • Posted

Hi I had total abdominal hysterectomy plus both ovaries and tubes removed due to a boarderline ovarian Tumor , I was told my recovery time away from work and exercise was to be minimum 3 months , 4 weeks post op now and thought I was on the mend but no tried cleaning around the house got sick belly swelled up , so my word of wisdom is don't over do things take recovery time seriously, 
    • Posted

I think time away from work depends on what you do. I work from home on a computer and my doctor said I could probably be back to work in 2 or 3 weeks.

Did your swollen belly go away when you rested or did you need to see a doctor?

• Posted

Lucky you work from home Hun I am on my feet all day when am at work , my lump is visible when I lay down but is worse when I stand up , i feel like a freak when I get dressed as it very visible even when I wear loose clothing
  • Posted

Please can you start a separate discussion if you are discussing other things not related to my discussion and my circumstances. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.