Immune boosting foods/supplements etc? Could they have a negative effect?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Sorry to start another new topic but it didn't seem right to add it on my other one.  

I am confused as to whether taking immune boosting supplements, vitamins, zinc, probiotic etc and eating immune boosting foods, would actually have a negative effect on the lichen sclerosus?  "Helps support the normal function of the immune system" is something I often see.  If this condition is due to an overactive immune system, how would "boosting" the immune system help? 

Should we be trying to suppress the immune system in fact?

Sorry if this is an obvious question and has been discussed elsewhere - I've missed it if so.

Thanks again!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Only recently diagnosed so still learning. However I have started taking probiotic capsules and the difference is nothing short of amazing.
  • Posted

Different thoughts.  My thought is that LS and many other skin diseases are caused by an imbalance in the system.  A strong immune system should be a good thing.  I have lived with a weak immune system for a very long time and got LS.  If that auto immune idea would be true, I should have never had LS.  
    • Posted

Yes, interesting.  I just am feeling wary about taking anything that "boosts" the immune system in case it makes the immune system attack the body even more.  Having said that, I many be totally off in my thoughts, I am still only just starting my reseach and there are many here who have far greater knowledge/experience!

Thanks again for the reply.

• Posted

I think the only thing worrying about taking supplements as well as a lot of immune boosting food, is overdosing on certain vitamins, which may then cause other symptoms not due to lichen sclerosis. I'm currently studying on a nutrition and human health course in university and have been learning about the effect of supplements on the body lately. I think probiotics are fine to take they shouldn't cause any problems, just be wary on taking too many supplements 
  • Posted

I truly believe that probiotics are good, think anything to extreme is bad but this seems like an auto immune disease, think about how the tissue is attacking itself causing inflammation..i think it makes sense
  • Posted

I agree with Jessicat. I've been eating half a cup of naturally fermented sauerkraut and a couple of tablespoons of kefir daily. My digestion has improved astronomically this month (I think I have mild IBS). This can't help but improve LS, I feel. Certainly mine is very calm, but this is not the only thing I've added to my prescription (Protopic twice a week).
    • Posted

Kefir has helped my digestive system tremendously too.  Sauerkraut is a good one too.  All belongs to keeping the Alkaline and Assidity balance, which, I believe, makes a big difference with LS.
  • Posted

It is a good question.  And I think one that most people are not exactly sure of. Personally, I think you should do everything you can to support your immune system, which means that it will work more efficiently and be more balanced, bearing in mind that it is currently not functioning as it should be.  By that I mean eating the right foods, exercising, and taking supplements, and if a particular supplement or whatever can make your immune system healthier then that's kind of different than "boosting" it. 
    • Posted

Thank you - can't yet quite get my mind around something that is "boosting" the immune system not making the immune system more active and then doing more harm.  

If using protopic to surpress the immune system, and then taking immune boosting supplement etc, in my mind, this cancels each other out!  

But yes I understand all the replies here and thanks everyone for taking the time to write.

• Posted

I am eating the naturally fermented sauerkraut as well as drinking kombucha and taking a probiotic/prebiotic supplement. I believe it has helped a lot in combination with topical applications of clob and natural moisturizers. I think that the advertisement that something "boosts" your immune system really means "supports good function of the immune system." I don't worry that it puts an already over-working system into overdrive. Who knows really whether the immune system is overactive or under active - all I could tell was that mine wasn't functioning properly, and I needed to get it back on track.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.