Immune supporting supplements and LS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know if immune support supplements like Milk Thistle for the liver are no good for LS? I seem to remember reading that somewhere, so stopped taking it but would like to take it again.

And how does having an autoimmune disease effect our normal immune system - are we more at risk from the most serious case of coronavirus if we get it or does it make no difference? Anyone knowledgable on this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am

a Beauty Therapist with LS i came to work in Jersey the Channel

Islands and have been told by Jersey Health that due to having an autoimmune disorder i am at higher risk .

I have been told to self isolate

• Posted

Suzie - I hadn't really grasped this until thinking about our immune systems not working properly. You have had my fears confirmed then. Horrible for you and presumably you can't work. Feel for you and will now be extra diligent myself. Keep well.

• Edited

Hi Sarb,

Yes from what I've read or hearing on TV from Medical people is that our LS means we are "immune compromised". You may remember that I really studied up hard a couple years ago when first diagnosed to find the nutritional deficiencies that factor into autoimmunity. My list is still in the discussions tab at my profile.

More recently I've worked up a short list for my and my friends issues as we all get older. (I'm 74).

The Immune building nutrition that I've found from reputable sites includes:

Vitamin D; vitamin A; Vitamin E; magnesium; zinc;selenium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Folate; copper, MSM; Amino Acids; DHEA; PROBIOTICS; WATER; protein. Also Grapefruit Seed Extract and/or Oregano oil.

OH, the ones that I've found for Liver issues so far are: Borax; Vitamin C; MSM; Magnesium; and Milk Thistle Extract. I haven't looked up very much on contraindications for Milk thistle; I do keep some in my cabinet for the times it is needed. Don't forget water! apparently we are all dehydrated to various degrees.

I've recently finally learned how to make my own fermented vegetables/sauerkraut for the probiotics.

I hope you all are feeling well and taking safety precautions. My friends and I ave been talking about how this pandemic seems to be offering our entire culture/civilization an unprecedented opportunity to do a major "reset". More humanity and compassion, and families actually having the time to get to know one another. Blessings,

• Edited

thanks Nancy. I am taking most of the vitamins you had listed.

Worrying that we are immune compromised but there again no one is immune to coronavirus who hasn't already had it. And even then, doctors are still not sure of absolute immunity once you've had it - more research needed.

The stockpiling nonsense is going on in the UK - selfish people causing chaos in the food shops.

Stay well.

• Edited

Oh! I thought I'd add something I posted on my Facebook page this morning. I don't know if you U.K. peeps have heard about the ridiculous run on toilet paper and also on hand sanitizer in the U.S. So I thought I'd mention about Hydrogen peroxide... which I've been using in a wipe form as well as a spray form as I think some of you all are as well.

Here is what found on Consumer Reports from our CDC:

I found this this morning. I don't know why the media aren't sharing about the remarkable ability of hydrogen peroxide... "According to the CDC, household (3 percent) hydrogen peroxide is effective in deactivating rhinovirus, the virus that causes the common cold, within 6 to 8 minutes of exposure. Rhinovirus is more difficult to destroy than coronaviruses, so hydrogen peroxide should be able to break down coronavirus in less time. Pour it undiluted into a spray bottle and spray it on the surface to be cleaned, but let it sit on the surface for at least 1 minute.

Hydrogen peroxide is not corrosive, so it’s okay to use it on metal surfaces. But similar to bleach, it can discolor fabrics if you accidentally get in on your clothes. “It’s great for getting into hard-to-reach crevices,” Sachleben says. “You can pour it on the area and you don’t have to wipe it off because it essentially decomposes into oxygen and water.”

• Edited

Hi Nancy and All,

My doctor told me to dilute HO by at least 50% IF I was going to use it on any area of the body but who knows if he's right. Will have to check. Yes, H Peroxide is a good antibiotic and antiviral on surfaces. We have neither alcohol, Hydrogen peroxide or toilet paper here in GA. Glad I have been stocked up. Also no eggs.

Vitamins and supplements and nutritional support is paramount during these times. I have found zinc (50-100 mg/day) and Vit D (>5,000 IUs/day) good ways to keep healthy. My school is shut down and likely will be all year. My worry is the financial system. At some point there are going to be bankruptcies in that system but I digress. Was listening to a Functional Medicine dr on the radio the other night who said divide your weight by 2 and that's how many ounces of clean water you need. So, if you weight 150 lbs, then you need 75 oz of water. I purchased a Berkey water system. It removes a long list of bacteria and contaminants. Unsure whether it removes viruses but it does make nice clean water. I worry about municipal water system's ability to handle the changes and whether they are cleaning their filters. (I once worked in the water treatment industry). Everyone be well and let's take the opportunity to remember what we all mean to each other.

bis

• Edited

The advice I received my medical advisor is to check with your medical practitioner about your immune system and LS as it will depend on you individual circumstances and course of treatment.

As I have found personally stress and anxiety have a big impact on our immune system so if you are worried talk to your doctor. This condition really does call us to take more care of our bodies more than ever before and reduce whatever contributes to our stress and anxiety levels. Take care you, xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.