Immune System

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had chronic urinary tract infections for over a year.  I get antibiotics, then I get another one a week or a month later.  I am afraid I am becoming drug resistant.  UTI's are a miserable thing to have.  DO you think my immune system could be causing this, from COPD???

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

As far as I know, not the COPD itself, but coritsone can adversely affect yr immune system.   That's rotten for you:  does your gp have any explanation for the recurrent infections?  If you're being given the same antibiotics every time, the UTI could well be resistant to that particular infection
    • Posted

Thank you, Jude. That is funny you say that because I have been getting cortisol injections every few months for foot arthritis. So to give that up would be tough!! They put me on different antibiotics depending on the strain. But they keep coming back. Not sure what they are going to do next. It is hard to treat. Thanks so much for the response!
  • Posted

Hi, I also kept getting urinary tract infections but it might not be for the same reason as you. I wasn't drinking enough. I started drinking a 500ml bottle of water in the morning and another in the afternoon on top of what I normally drink and, a long as I don't miss, I am clear of the infections. I hope you get clear of your infections because I know how miserabe they can make you feel

Take care, Linda

• Posted

Thank you Linda. I think that is very helpful. I need to drink more water. I do drink cranberry juice.
  • Posted

I agree that drinking a lot of water certainly helps. Have you tried PROBIOTICS? I suggest you read about them on the internet as, apparently, they help to bring back the GOOD bacteria that all the antibiotics have knocked out. You can buy them in good health shops. Also I would suggest trying herbal remedies - ask at your local health shop or find a herbalist. Urinary tract infections can get you down and are quite painful but I doubt if your COPD is to do with it. A GOOD herbalist/natural practitioner would certainly help and nothing he/she prescribes can possibly harm you in any way. Worth a try.
    • Posted

Yes, I am thinking more of herbal and probiotic supplements. I have the probiotics and I was also told that D-mannose helps prevent UTI. So I am going to try that route.

Thank you!!

• Posted

Hi Maryterese!

I have had urinary infections most of my life but not real often.  I discovered that at the FIRST sign of one coming on, I take 3 or 4 cranberry capsules and then more capsules later in the day.  Drinking cranberry juice will also help keep a UTI away.

• Posted

Sandy, I will try drinking more cranberry juice although it does not seem to help. I will try all the suggestions! Thanks to everyone!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.