Immune system very low

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have haemochromatosis which was diagnosed back in June, although I was only 300 at worst and then 200 when venesections started in September, due to the fact that I have tiny veins and the withdrawal is done from my hand by syringe I have to go every 2 weeks as they can only get at most 200mls, I am now down 100 and have to keep on going until I get to 50 so another few weeks.

My query is that since I started vs I have had 2 colds, chest infection, shingles and now today tonsillitis and mouth thrush, which apparently is caused by a low immune system. Are all the illnesses a coincidence or could they be due to my lowering iron levels. Saw a nurse practitioner today who although she does not know much about HH does believe it could be causing all these problems. Anyone else been susceptible to everything going whilst getting their numbers down.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think that one of the problems with doing frequent phlebotomies like this, to quickly lower ferritin levels, is that you can also deplete the body of stores of other essential vitamins and minerals, including iron. As I understand it we can become anaemic, while still having quite high ferritin levels, and obviously being anaemic is probably not good for one's immune status. What do your blood tests show? Are you at all anaemic or vitamin deficient?

• Posted

Haemochromatosis can cause a reduced immune system. Hopefully, when you are fully de-ironed, your immune system will improve.

It is your ferritin iron that is being decreased. With haemochromatosis your iron will always increase, unless you are homozygous H63D which is not aggressive.

I must add though any type of infection/inflammation will increase your ferritin level, which does not seem to be reflected in your ferritin results. Your ferritin levels should be skyrocketing with the issues that you have had.

What is your transferrin saturation % (TS%)? Perhaps that is already low. Your serum iron is a different measure. What is your haemoglobin? If it is low, you will feel dreadful and should not be venesected if it is lower than the normal range.

For volume in veins, try having Vit B12 injections. This can increase blood volume and increase the thickness of your veins. Of course, I am sure you have been told to drink lots of water before vx.

• Posted

Hi sorry for late reply. Lost my phone. Immune system us better as now under 50. Not sure about saturation as not been tested for a while it was 68% last time. Have recently posted about feeling achy and tired since lower iron and cold as well. Having a full blood test before seeing consultant in May. I had really hoped to feel better. I do not have stomach aches anymore so that is one good thing. I have osteoarthritis from years of typing which has been made worse but as I cannot take anti inflammatories am a bit stuck. Hope once I get used to normal ferritin will start to feel better oh and a bit of sunshine would probably help 😂

• Posted

Hi youngatheart, decades ago I bought some emu oil (100%) for my father who had skin cancers and myself. He did not use it so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. I had also read it was good for reducing arthritis as the oil is so fine it gets into the joints. So at first sign of arthritic pain in my fingers I started rubbing on emu oil. It never progressed.

I do have the iron overload fist though in my right hand, like it does not close up as tight as the left one does.

Just a suggestion as you have no other options. You may have to search for it in your country. Try Australian products shops. Don't get the cream as the ingredients of the cream prevent the oil getting deep.

Good luck.

• Posted

All those can be caught by anybody so it's not just low immune system and have they been doing blood tests they should be checking not only the likes of ferrtin but full blood count (I know some cut corners on this which is not good)

I think some one else pointed this out have you been eating/drinking well so many people think it's fine to load up on high carb food and just drink the likes of tea/coffee only even seen some people come from the pub before treatment then go back after.

• Posted

In my experience with drs, I have found that a full blood count is very commonly tested, but Iron Studies are not. Liver function tests are also quite common, as are thyroid tests.

Haemochromatosis is well known to suppress our immune systems and we get infections more often than those who don't have an immuno suppressant disorder. Not all issues caused by haemochromatosis are resolved by de-ironing for some people. This could be where a persistently high TS% keeps these problems continuing. In the end, it is not just ferritin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.