Immunodeficiency?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis but I have been getting an increase in the number of infections and I don't know why since I've been taking my thyroid medication as directed by my GP.

Urinary - kidney stones, frequent UTIs, LUTS (Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms), cystitis, leukocytes and proteinuria.

Gastrointestinal - diarrhoea, constipation, acid reflux, nausea, weight loss - I was on a gluten-free and dairy-free diet but the anti-TPO antibodies only increased in number, not reduced.

Reproductive - heavy and dark periods, irregular cycles, painful periods, excessive discharge from vagina (I can actually feel it dribbling out and when I look there are massive drops of it), vaginal soreness. Note: I am not sexually active or pregnant.

Other - recurring sore throats and fungal infections.

Could I possibly have an immunodeficiency caused by the Hashimoto's? And if so would an immunologist be better placed to help me rather than my own endocrinologist?

Thank you smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You need a REALLY GOOD doctor and loads of help Can't suggest anything

more .. Most of your problems I have never heard of  

You obviously have massive infections that need sorting  

go to A&E that's a good starter point Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. The sore throats have come and gone and only ease off if I suck a mint or chew on menthol gum. The increase in vaginal fluids has only just happened but since it coincided with the possible kidney stone it made sense for me to seek medical advice.
  • Posted

Have you discussed this with your Endocrinologist?  Ask him whether you should be referred to an Immunologist - he should help you, otherwise, you will need to return to your GP and say that you don't feel you are getting any answers and, should you be referred?
    • Posted

Thanks for reply. My endocrinologist is not responding to any of my calls or emails and I haven't even received a letter for my 6-month follow-up which is due this month. I doubt I'll be seen sometime this year as planned and I don't know what I can do about it.

I've got an appointment with my GP today to mention the problems I have been having and that if I get no answers I would like to be referred.

• Posted

Are you in the UK?  If so, I had a problem with an Ophthalmology appt which was supposed to be 'in a month'  I kept ringing the Consultant's secretary when it didn't happen and was constantly fobbed off.  I spoke to my GP when I was 5 months overdue and she told me to telephone the secretary once more because it was better than the GP getting involved - it would cause trouble of some kind apparently.  I rang once more and said that my appt was very overdue and I received an appt but evern that was for a fortnight later.

I think the clinics are being told to reduce their waiting lists and, as a result, the patients who are waiting for a follow up appt., are being negected.

• Posted

Yes, I'm in the UK. That might explain why my endocrinology appointment is overdue. I hope I hear back soon.
    • Posted

Perhaps your GP will be able to help,  good luck.  I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
    • Posted

Hi, I don't get sick and I know it's due to taking Pycnogenol and or Grape Seed Ex for 19 yrs this past Sept.....

I take desiccated thyroid support (armour), daily iodine, 200-400mcg selenium daily, olive leaf extract for EBV and many  other supplements which I've worked with for 25 yrs......joy 76 US

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.