Imodium had shorter effect

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have IBS-D which is usually triggered by stress. This morning I had a couple of loose stools in response to a stressful situation and took one Imodium. Usually, this stops me up for at least a day, but I already had another bowel movement only 12 hours later. It wasn't loose, but I thought it was strange. I recently moved from Norway to the US, and so I'm wondering if maybe there's a difference between what's in the drug in the two countries? The pills in the US are definitely smaller and they dissolve a lot quicker - once when I took it, I could taste it at the back of m'y throat which never happened with the pills I got in Norway. Is there any other explanation for this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I haven't heard of immodium changing their formulas. However, i've seen an array of choices they offer. Including one that helped with gass and bloating. Now, I guess it is possible, but usually they would change the packaging. Keep in mind that they're not like lemon, or orage juice where amounts/taste will vary. When it comes to medications the pharmacists are very precise. Have you checked the expiration date?

Also, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on when you have a bowl movement, unless it's an obvious redflag, because if here's something that needs to come out your body, it WILL come out, regardless of what you take. Remember, your body has all sorts of defense mechanisms, and evacuating waste is one of them.

• Posted

A drug in one country will need to meet the needs of the admistration and in the US it is the FDA so the requirements of the FDA may differ to the Norway administration. Also what is legal in one country may not be legal in another. Medicine is a minefield. To sell medical products in any one country requires a license and each country requires their own. Obviously this depends if it is under license such as a newer drug but once that runs out it is a free for all. Have a look at the packaging and look to see if it is the same as another possibility is parallel import. There is very little consistency of supply in one country let alone another for example the prescription your doc gives you may not be what the pharmacist gives you for cost cutting reasons. 
    • Posted

Yes, that's true.. A huge example of that is insulin. It is illegal in America to sell pig insulin (not sure if they still do in other countries). It is also illegal to sell U500 in the US as well.

• Posted

Looks like they've just approved it this year.. Now that's interesting.. I would guess that only those people with REAL insulin reistance would be using that prescription..

• Posted

Great point and anything diabetic can be a nightmare to sell. Also I know  in the world of epilepsy there are massive issues with drugs. Getting license approval for diabetic products is so difficult. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.