Imodium not always working

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, 

So I've suffered from IBS for about 3 years. I use imodium several times a week to help with it. Some days I'll just take a couple, sometimes I'll take 3, and  if I'm having a particularly bad day, or if I'm out for the whole day, or going to a meal, I'll take 4.

Sometimes 2 doesn't bind me up completely, but 3 or 4 usually seemed to do the job.

Occassionally recently though, I've found that when I take 3 in the morning, I sometimes still need to pass a stool at lunch time. Yesterday though, I had firm stools in the morning, but as I had a meeting at work, I took 2 at about 7.30am and then one more at 8am in the hope this would stop my stomach playing up. However, on my way to work I suddenly felt a bit sick. I think I then worried that I was ill (i have a bit of a phobia of being sick), and the anxiety I was feeling made my stomach play up after another hour or 2. I then at about 10.30am felt desperate to go to the loo but I hate going at work as it's embarrassing. I took an early lunch so that I could go home (i only live 10 mins drive from work) and go to the toilet. I didn't have diarrhoea, but my stool wasn't firm, and my stomach felt really unsettled. I had to go 2 or 3 tines within the next couple of hours. I then took one more imodium which bound me up for the rest of the day.

I still felt sick for a few hours, but it eventually eased off, so I don't think it was a bug. Might be worth mentioning that my period is due today, so I might have felt nauseous because of that?

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had imodium fail on them like this before? Does it sound like I am building an immunity to it, or maybe it could just be a blip as I wasn't feeling well anyway?

I'm really worried now that imodium isn't going to work for me anymore, as I honestly don't know what I would do.  Imodium has really helped me in the last few years to try as best as I can to carry on and do things, but if it doesn't work I feel it's going to stop me doing things like going out.

I'd be really grateful for anyone's input or experiences with imodium.

Thanks 

Vicky

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Try COLPERMIN. You can buy it from the chemist and if it works you can get it on prescription.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Imodium isn't supposed to completely bind you up and stop you going, it works by slowing the motion of your intestines so that more water is absorbed and stools become firmer.

Have you tried taking physillium (fybogel) although it's sold as a laxative it's also a stool Bulker so can firm up your stools. Coedine also works.

• Posted

You are probably suffering from a combination of all these factors at the same time; IBS is like that.  The key is to try not to worry because it will make you worse.  Try distraction techniques such as a hobbyto take your mind off your symptoms.
  • Posted

I also noticed  it.After continues use of it gradually it losses its effectiveness.we have to increase the dosage.
  • Posted

Hi Vicky

You are not alone! Most of the time, I have Colpermin at night and morning with Loperamide as needed in the day (sometimes none, at times 1-3). However, there are some days when it is so bad I take the full daily allowance by lunchtime and I am still back and forth to the loo!

My view is that Imodium is great but, as with most things, has its limits so it’s really trial and error with a few different options on an individual basis. For me, I realise there will be days when nothing works complete sad

• Posted

We become so used to it, it doesn't work anymore. I used to take imodium but now I don't. Lost it's effectiveness =(

• Edited

i know this is really old but I wanted to post my experience for others

apparently theres not evidence to tolerance of it, but im experiencing the same. 1 pill used to be good, for that day and usually the next. now 1 pill does nothing and im having 20-30 bms a day still never loose just frequent and urgent

my illness has me not only housebound, but unemployable. even woeking from home now is a problem. i cant make or take phonecalls. im on the toilet too much to meet any deadlines. i have to take 2 imodium at least 2 hours in advance to even walk to my mailbox.

i cant take it every day, it causes me really bad pain but for when i must leave my home, i take 2 the night before, and wake up 4 hours early to take 2 more. and i cannot eat until im home for the day travelling is a nightmare.

no other medications help at all either

i urge you to get help, counselling as well, while you are still able to get out of the house to do so. i cant even answer a phone anymore. i cant stay off thr toilet to do so, and the fear of being sick prevents me from doing anything too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.