Impaired driving

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I was infected with Lyme's disease about six years ago. After many misdiagnoses, I was treated and got rid of it about three and half years ago.   It has taken until now to get back to more or less normal functioning. The only thing I still struggle with is driving. My ability to drive disappeared immediately when I got sick and since then I have only been able to drive very short distances (2km - 5km) or not at all. My symptoms are a funny zoned-out feeling like I'm looking through a dirty window, my concentration feels impaired like after you've had a drink or two, I get very tired after about 10mins and, if I push it and continue, my arms and legs feel like they might start shaking and I feel like I'm going to pass out. Busy roads, speed, many intersections, highways and sharp early-morhing light all aggravate my symptoms. I have also had problems being in certains shops and listening continuously to music. It's like these things -- or too much stimuli -- are triggers. Does anyone have the same symptoms, know what's is causing them or tried any treatments (normal or alternative) have have helped? Please let me know. I'm desperate to start driving again and get back my independence. Tanya

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I have been battling Lyme for over seven years and it is still taking a large toll on my health. As far as driving I too am struggling. I used to be so very independent and it is startling to lose control of something I used to do without thinking. I know other people with Lyme facing the same issue so you are not alone. I do believe/ hope that it will become easier over time. As I am sure you have learned Lyme requires tremendous patience. I wish I could be more helpful but again you are not alone.
  • Posted

Everything I do has become "impaired".  I almost burnt my house down last week by lighting the wrong gas burner on my stove.  Some days, I would not think of driving...way too dangerous.  I get overstimulated and overwhelmed constantly and once that happens my mind pretty much turns to mush.  The lymes has a real negative effect on my mood/emotions/short term memory and just about everything I use my mind for.  The worst part is how short tempered and irritable I get.  When that happens, I have to isolate for the safety of the general public.    I have been robbed of all my joy and motivation.  I wish winter would last forever.  I have no idea how I can possibly take care of my beautifu yard and numerous flower gardens this year.  Been doing some research on a drug called Aricept that is used for alsheimers.  Many neuro lyme patients report that it has helped them greatly with their mental problems and the side effects seem minimal.

Pat

• Posted

Hi Pat! I am so sorry to hear how much you are suffering. I mentioned in my previous post that I too have been suffering from Chronic Lyme for over seven years. I also had both babesia and bartonella co-infections. The babesia inflicted several of the symptoms you described. My first suggestion if you have not done so already is to be tested for any potential co-infections. My second suggestion is to reach out to a medical center in Boston, USA. My maid of honor has Lyme disease as well and in her case it has attacked her mind. She is just now starting to work with a team of doctors in Boston at the Dean Center for Tick borne illnesses. While I don't know if your situation allows you to travel or not I think a phone consult may help them provide suggestions for treatments to be done with your current doctor. I will post the site asap.

I also want you to know that I too know how much everything can become so very overwhelming! Please know you are not alone. Kind wishes

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, thank you for the kind words and your suggestion about the place in Boston.  I found it online and will give them a call.  No funds to travel or money for treatment.  But most lymies are in the same boat.  And a definate yes for having the babesia.  Did not test for the bartonella yet but it's on the list.  I was soo sick with the babs, came close to ending up in the hospital.  Most people don't realize that the co infections will make you deathly ill while the plain old lymes is more like having the flu.  Getting struck down with the co infections is very similar to having malaria.  I was so sick, I didn't realize the the terrible condition I was in.  I was alone too which compounds everything.. 

For a long time I was in denial about the neuro lymes and the fact that I am probably in the early stages of dementia.  I've been grasping at straws, doing all sorts of herbs, even to the point of making my own tinctures, (a great idea, very easy and I saved a ton of money).  I was really focusing on nutrition initially.  Vit d was below  the levels.  Did mega doses of 50,000 units each week for 2 months.  Did not feel any improvment at all.  I couldn't believe it....a really bad omen.  B12 is around 200 so that's very low and am waiting on the compound pharm. to get that to me so I can do my own shots.  What an adventure trying to coordinate THAT purchase....a long story but I think I could have scored some morphine with less trouble.  After the vit. d didn't help, I began to think that my doctor was right and this may indeed be beyond my reach to turn this around.  Now I'm pinning my hopes on the drug Aricept.  I think my doctor will let me give it a try.  Oh and just to add insult to injury, I did a 24hr. cortisol saliva test and I have adrenal exhaustion.  Very little hope for that issue.  And finally, Medicare in it's infinate wisdom has finally approved the saliva cortisol test if anyone is interested.

I wanted to also mention to anyone that may be b12 deficent, I found a compound pharmacy in Ca. that sells 1,000mcg doses of methylcobanlmin for $1 each which is really cheap.  Will post the site upon request.

Blessings,

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.