Impending operation and terrified

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello. I’m 44 and have hip dysplasia I need an operation due to the severity of it. My surgeon said I should have had a hip replacement a few years ago. It is going to be more complex as a result. I’m totally terrified. Beyond scared. I anticipate I will have the operation in December to work around other commitments. I am having a CT scan next week to get a better look at the damage. Unfortunately it’s all I’m really thinking about at the moment ??

1 like, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

please ask for a Teflon implant,,,,,i had a metel implant 7 yrs ago and now have colbalt  elevetions in bloodstream and need bilateral hip replacements   63 yrs old and sure not looking forward to this,,,,,tougher rehab  good luck dear    Joe
    • Posted

Hi Joe, that is a rotten thing to happen, I think there are some class actions going on for the cobalt implant. My surgeon was none too keen on the ceramic implants either as he said he reckoned they could cause debris like the cobalt one. 
    • Posted

I will know more  after my mri on fri   then appt with dr on 27th   mri will show damage that cobault has caused because I am in constant pain so I know something was compromised just don't know what,,,yet  Just pray that its not bone related and only tissue related,,,,sure not gonna be able to function without some sort of hips   thanks for your concern,,,,Joe

• Posted

Please let us know what happens, all the best x
  • Posted

Hi. I'm 53. Had my 2nd hip done 9 weeks ago due to hip dysplasia. Mine was bilateral and not diagnosed till I was 20. I had a few problems and pain but just got on. Finally needed the operations, just as you do now. 

I had bone grafts to shape properly for the cup on both legs and total replacements. The 2nd leg femur bone was a little soft and fractured slightly when stem was hammered in. It now has a cerclage round it for strength. All has healed well. 2nd hip is taking a little longer to get back to full activities but it's all going well. I can walk straight. Legs are the same length. Much less pain. All pluses. 

It's normal to be a bit scared. Just be positive. Know your options and go for it. 

😘

• Posted

Hello

Jeepers so many stories!!  That is amazing so good to hear the positives!!  I am glad it is working out so well for you that is awesome!  I think I just have to get my head around this somehow...not an easy thing to do as you know.  Bit scared I am ridiculously scared....oh yes on leg length the right leg is now shorter.....so weird!

• Posted

You'll be sweet. I can tell you have good attitudes. 

Get yrself an aftercare kit. Has a sock helper, reacher tool, long handled shower brush etc. you'll need a shower stool with arms, raised toilet seat with arms. Proper ortho chair with arms, bed at a certain height. I'm sure yr surgeon and an OT will help with all that when the time comes. The reacher etc could be helpful now if your flexibility has gone. As for toenails I just put in the budget getting a decent pedicure once a month. Cheaper than other options and my hubby......well, I won't go there. Haha. Please don't be scared. It's better afterwards than now. 

D

• Posted

I feel like an old person its crazy.....I am determined to cut my own nails, I did get my 20 year old son to help me he was laughing so much he scared me so I did it myself with a bit more of a twist and turn!

Oh my goodness sounds like so much to get!  I will definitely get a raised toilet seat....you dont have to use them forever do you???  I would be embarrassed carrying my own toilet seat with me wherever I went....I think I would never go to the toilet xx

• Posted

I was given raised loo seats for the house by the NHS. You return them when you don’t want them any more. If you go privately you may be able to rent them. The thing that is really useful is a grabber I think most people will agree. It is amazing how often you drop things and don’t think about it. I also had a really clever thing to lift my leg in and out of bed, just a length of material really. You can use a dressing gown cord or similar on the other hand. 
    • Posted

Once yr hip is done. No more twisting and bending at the same time. I was doing my own toe nails then feeling crippled for the next 30 mins with no movement. Now 2nd hip is done I'm risking dislocation so no more nails. As long as I can put my own pants and socks on. Even tho I use a sock aid. 

As for the toilet seat. No you won't need it forever. You will be given exercises after yr op. As yr leg gets stronger and yr restrictions are lifted you won't need the toilet seat.  

Some people on here talk about the enhanced recovery program. I'm in NZ and that is pretty much what we do here. 👍

• Posted

Thank you for the tips!!!!  Anything helps that I can file away x
    • Posted

I did after the last hip. I'll keep working on my exercises and stretches. Hope to be able to do them again in a few months as long as I'm not uncomfortable with the bend on my hips. 

• Posted

Yes you can if you could before having your new hip but not for a few months to avoid the danger of a dislocation. Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.