Implant side affects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I had the implant fitted in November 2015, I have since put on nearly 1 and a half stone, have become extremely moody and emotional, have spots on my face and back, oily skin and very irregular bleeding, also have zero sex drive and it is starting to affect my relationship. It's been complete hell and im thinking about having it removed. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and did it help to have it taken out? Also I need to go on to a different type of contraception but have been told by the family planning nurse that I can not go on to a combined pill as I have a family history of high blood pressure and high colestorol (I do not have either of these). I have been on a mini pill before but it completely messed up my cycle and I was having a full period every other week, this went on for 6 months before I saw a doctor who told me that the mini pill was too strong for me. So I really don't want to go back to the mini pill, just the thought of it makes me feel like crying. I have read that the injection has the same effects as the implant and I'm not really sure what else I can do? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Sarah

Xxx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had all these problems with nexaplanon! and YES the shot does the same thing.

THESE are GOOD Stuff:

Cervical Cap

What is a Cervical Cap?

Cervical cap (popularly branded FemCap), is a small cup shaped object made from silicone. It is inserted deep into the vagina and rests against the cervix to prevent pregnancy. They are a safe and effective means of birth control.

How do they Prevent Pregnancy?

The cap rests against the cervix, forming a barrier which blocks sperm from getting through and causing impregnation. It should be used in conjunction with spermicide in order to immobilize the sperm and further prevent it from travelling through the cervix.

What Are the Benefits?

The benefits:

Easy to use

No effect on hormones

Does not interrupt or interfere with sex as it can be inserted up to 6 hours beforehand

No prescription required

Comfortable to the point of not being noticeable for both partners

A one time purchase can be used for up to 2 years

Reversible at any time

Birth Control Sponge (Today Sponge)

What is a Birth Control Sponge?

The sponge (popularly branded as the Today Sponge) is a squishy porous foam object which is inserted into the vagina before intercourse. It contains spermicide to immobilize sperm as it comes in contact with the sponge.

The sponge is typically around 2 inches in diameter and features a nylon loop which is used to easily remove it from the vagina after intercourse.

The sponge tends to cost less than $5 each and normally comes in packs of 3.

How do Birth Control Sponges Prevent Pregnancy?

They prevent pregnancy by blocking the sperm from reaching the cervix. By inserting the sponge deep into the vagina before intercourse, resulting sperm entering the vagina will be blocked by the sponge. Meanwhile, the sponge will release spermicide throughout intercourse, thereby immobilizing the sperm.

What Are the Benefits?

The benefits are as follows:

Easy to use

Safe

No effect on hormones

Convenient

No prescription required

Good for continuous sex as it can be used and re-used for up to a 24 hour period

Birth Control Vaginal Ring (NuvaRing)

A birth control vaginal ring, commonly known as NuvaRing (brand), is a small flexible ring that a women inserts into her vagina once a month. It is placed in the vagina for the three week period and is taken out for the last week of each month.

• Posted

I'm definitely having it removed and will look into these, thank you!

Xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I have the Nexplanon implant removed 4 weeks ago due to the same side effects as you. Spotty oily skin and hair, weight gain of two stone in 6 months and feeling tired all of the time.   I do feel better without it but I am the same I could do with going on something else but I don't know what.  I am having a break for now.  However, I am still waiting for my period to arrive which is conerning me the most at the moment.  What about the coil, I have friends on this and have heard good things about it?

Amanda x

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I'm having mine removed on 11th August and I'm going to have a break for a while until I'm back to normal. I was thinking about the coil but I've heard it is very painful to have fitted and removed if you haven't had children. I'm abit confused by it all to be honest, I don't know what would be the best thing for me so I think I will have a chat with the nurse once I'm ready to go on to something else. Maybe your body is still trying to balance your hormones out?

Sarah

Xx

• Posted

I am on the implant too and my periods are all over the places . I have had to have a pill to stop my periods its an hormone tablet called Norethisterone . I also had to have a blood test so im waiting for the results back . 
  • Posted

I have had the Nexplanon implant for almost 6 years. I get it taken out for the second time in 2017. As far as weight gain, I'm sure all birth control can cause that as it depends on your hormones. I haven't had any problems with mine at all. I still get my period and the only times I feel tired is when I'm on my period. Honestly the first time I got it Put in when I was 18 I and a period for 4 months straight, it wasn't heavy bleeding it was just like spotting. But like 2 months before I got it Put in I had a miscarriage and it didn't pass through so I basically had to get the abortion surgery, so I do count some of that in as part of the reason I bled for so long. If your having problems then by all means take it out. My sex drive hasn't decreased if anything it has increased. But everything your talking about is normal side effects of any birth control it all depends on your hormones and how your body reacts to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.