Importance of hygiene re; Covid-19

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was astonished to see my local pharmacy handing the same ballpoint pen to patient after patient the other day. Coronavirus can survive for about three days on plastic surfaces, so all the steps the pharmacy had taken eg; distancing, staff wearing masks and gloves were negated by crass stupidity.

Another ridiculous idea by Boris Johnson is he's writing to every household, not only a complete waste of money but coronavirus can survive for about 24 hours on cardboard ergo paper must be a similar amount of time. Of course the infected Boris won't be handling the letters personally, but who else has, and have they been infected? The postman may be a carrier in every sense of the word.

Please think carefully about touching surfaces and objects especially in public areas and perhaps think about quarantining or sterilising groceries or letters as I have since this pandemic began.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The virus can come to us in many ways. Social distancing, wearing a mask is required to stop its spreading but the most important thing is to sanitize your hands after touch any surface, person or things. As you said it can survive for 24 hours on cardboard, I have read it can survive for 72 hours on plastic & stainless steel. So everyone should always wash their hands or sanitize them.

• Posted

yes absolutely agree about the stupidity in chemists etc - also Boris Johnson sending out letters at such a cost is a disgrace - if people havent got the message by now they never will - the money wasted could have helped a lot of our heroic NHS frontline workers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.