Improperly placed part

Posted , 4 users are following.

Everyone said give it time to feel better. While a year doesn't guarantee a TKR will feel better, it was the magical time when my surgeon said " I want you to get another opinion bc you're miserable. You should not be in this kind of pain and if I miss something on your xrays or if something is not right, I want to know about it." Girst time the man talked to me, not st me.

So I got two other opinions. Both of these said;

1. The bottom part that is drilled into your shin is not in correct position.

2. You now have bone spurs on the thigh bone where the upper part is rubbing bc of improper placement.

3. You also have bursitis in shin ( said technical name of area, but I can't remember it)

Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do about it?

They are suggesting draining bursitis area, injecting bone spur area and doing another revision of replacement. My work requires me to be on my feet, walking and flexible. I also ride horses. My work schedule has me committed until the end of Spring right now. Then I have a month's break, unless I pick up more work, but July 1st, I start non stop until November or December.

Do you feel a month will be long enough to get me walking comfortably again? Last revision, I climbedback in the saddle in 9 weeks, really riding in 11. Currently, I probably walk about 5 miles a day, stand for about 7 -10 non consecutive hours, and ride for 1-3. I can't afford to give up my clients and spent the last two years building a nice clientele base. I'll get the surgery eventually. Trying to figure out when is the issue I am facing, but that's my problem.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I know exactly what you are talking about, just dont know how the healing goes. I have a misaligned bottom piece and will be having a revision on Oct 30 to correct this. I am thinking 4 weeks min and 8 weeks worse case.

The ROM and pain has sucked for over a year. I am ready to get this behind me for sure.

• Posted

When was your surgery originally? Is same surgeon doing it? Was he/She the one who found the problem? Last question is personal and feel free to contact me directly instead for the answer, but are you taking legal action? Why/why not?

Several people have suggested taking legal action, but I don't know. I see other surgeons in same practice.The two who found the issues are not only out of network, but out of state. Your surgery isn't far off, and I wish you well with it. Please let me know how you are doing after.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

I am only 6 months out from surgery - but something isn’t right.  It hurts to stand more than 45 mins at a time and hurts to walk more than about 6,000 steps in a day.  I’m having trouble locating a revision surgeon to give me a second opinion.  How did you find one?
    • Posted

I went out of network to a huge practice that knows me well. Only thing I miss after relocating to another state is that practice. They listen and every time I have had problems, have found the issues. 2/2 times another surgeon screwed up. They are in York, PA.
  • Posted

I found that most revision surgeons will only talk to you one year after your surgery to make sure things are healed. I just did somencalling and googling to find the right one.
    • Posted

I am very proactive in my orthopedic crap. I moved states and the doctor who did my TKR is not familiar with me, my medical knowledge, etc. At three months, I went back to my original surgeon with xrays in hand. He told me then, it was not in place properly, but asked me to give it time so other issues would hopefully calm down and I agreed. In the meantime, I have been dealing with my other knee and both hips. Cortisone injections are my bff...

A yr came by. Dr who did my TKR saw nothing "wrong." I kept my mouth shut for once, and he actually asked me to get another opinion. I did. Now the old orthopedic practice is trying to treat everything else until I have a break in my schedule and can do a revision. Sometimes, being self employed bites as no one to cover for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.