Improved bone density

Posted , 14 users are following.

I got my DXA results today and there was an improvement in my t-scores this year over last year.  Now they aren't recommending drugs therapy any more, and I shouldn't need another scan for three to five years.  My doctor was impressed and asked me how I did it.  I said Vitamin K2 and exercise!  I think I should write up a little paper for her so she has a more complete picture. cool

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I think you should writeup a little paper for us here...please
  • Posted

That is fantastic, a most valuable proven result.  Could you remind me Anhaga what the cause of your low bone density was again, sorry I have forgotten, was it purely menapausal, and if so when did your menapause start, do you drink alcohol or smoke, did you change your diet.  All these factors are important.

Thank you.

Regards xxxxx

• Posted

I have to take prednisone (steroid) for polymyalgia rheumatica.  This may have increased the usual normal age-related bone thinning, but as I never had a baseline scan before taking pred I don't know.  My first scan was done three months after being on pred. I will be 70 next year, and none of my levels were ever truly worse than "osteopenia".  I still have to take prednisone but my current dose is very low so hopefully it's now a negligible factor.

• Posted

I don't smoke and only drink very occasionally, usually a beer, sometimes a glass of wine, with company.  Because of other factors to do with PMR I cut back drastically on my consumption of grains, most refined carbs, and increased my consumption of nuts so I'd get enough calories.  I'm vegetarian but eat dairy, including eggs, and fish.  See my link in reply to Ihavenonickname.

• Posted

Great, thanks Anhaga, this should help me a lot. xx
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga, we have communicated on the PMR forum! I have had hip and shoulder pain for 8 months but have taken steroids, prednisolone, only for the last two months. I know I am very lucky, responding immediately to a very low dose, 7 mgs and got my life back again. However, I had a DEXA scan two weeks ago and am gutted to receive a letter today suggesting a T score of -2.8 and the consultant asking my GP to prescribe a calcium replacement and a bisphosphonate. I am so reluctant to accept more medication with yet more possible side effects. As a fit 63 year old do you think I could manage the condition, for which I have no symptoms as yet, through diet and exercise? Jane
    • Posted

I know how you feel.  I felt shattered, not to say crushed - and the puns came quite naturally!  Yes, take the calcium plus all the other things you need for bone health.  (Notably D3, Vitamin K2 and perhaps a little extra magnesium; most things should be available in a good well-balanced diet).  I'm not alone in showing that diet, supplements and exercise alone can improve bone density without taking any osteoporosis drugs.  In one year I improved from -2 to -1.6.  My doctor asked me how I did it!  If you can improve over a year to -2.5 or better you will have moved from osteoporosis to osteopenia (low bone mass) level.  Are you able to exercise?  I am now 69, diagnosed at 68, first scan about four months after starting pred.

Don't take calcium at same time as prednisone.  I take iron and pred early in the day, calcium later.                     

• Posted

Wonderful! Well done you! This is what I am trying to do, after having refused to take drugs as the doctor prescribed. If you can do it, so can I.  I will book myself in for another scan and let you know how my scores have improved, because I am determined that they will. Off to the gym now for another session with my trainer. He costs a lot but he perks me up no end!
  • Posted

Have you had RECLAST, I have had Reclast 4 years in a row, and am now concerned about the side effects and do not want another Reclast IV.
    • Posted

I had my first Reclast infusion on Friday.  I am aware that side effects can take a while to materialise but apart from a bit of acid reflux- so far, so good! 

​After lengthy discussion with endocrinologist I decided to give this drug a try but was advised if no side effects it would be for two years only. Prior to that I was on Prolia. 

I would be interested to know if your T score has improved whilst on Reclast?  

• Posted

I have never taken any prescription osteoporosis drugs.  I have used only exercise and diet including supplements to improve my t-score in one year from -2 to -1.6, in spite of being on prednisone, more than half the year at a dose above 5 mg.  When I had my first scan in 2015 I was at 10 mg, and this year at the follow-up 3 mg.  
    • Posted

Oops, sorry, got confused with all the Marys here, and thought the question was directed at me!  But just as well to set out my exact situation clearly anyway, I think!
    • Posted

Well done Anhaga.

​a very merry christmas to everyone

• Posted

Thank you!  And Merry Christmas to you too.  Nice to hear from you again.  How are you doing?
    • Posted

I continue with exercise diet and supplements. I havent gone back for another scan to see if scores have improved or not as in meantime I have become a grandma twice within 7 weeks (first 2 grandkids) so my attention is now focused elsewhere. 1 has severe cow milk allergy and can only take amino acid based formula milk (impossible to find easily in Middle East) and also has GERD and 1 with only GERD..and they say GERD is not hereditary ???? (runs in my family)

?Maybe a good thing to not overly fuss about my diet etc smile

?

• Posted

Consolation - milk isn't best source of calcium for adult humans anyway.  Eat your leafy greens, like kale and broccoli, etc, and enjoy your new grandchildren!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.