Improved prostate cancer testing using MRI Scan

Posted , 9 users are following.

By James GallagherHealth and science reporter, BBC News website 20 Jan 2017

"The biggest leap in diagnosing prostate cancer "in decades" has been made using new scanning equipment, say doctors and campaigners.

Using advanced MRI nearly doubles the number of aggressive tumours that are caught.

And the trial on 576 men, published in the Lancet, showed more than a quarter could be spared invasive biopsies, which can lead to severe side-effects.

The NHS is already reviewing whether the scans can be introduced widely.

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in British men, and yet testing for it is far from perfect.

If men have high prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels in the blood, they go for a biopsy.

Twelve needles then take random samples from the whole of the prostate.

It can miss a cancer that is there, fail to spot whether it is aggressive, and cause side-effects including bleeding, serious infections and erectile dysfunction.

"Taking a random biopsy from the breast would not be accepted, but we accept that in prostate," said Dr Hashim Ahmed, a consultant and one of the researchers.

Around 100,000 to 120,000 men go through this every year in the UK.

Scanning

The trial, at 11 hospitals in the UK, used multi-parametric MRI on men with high PSA levels.

It showed 27% of the men did not need a biopsy at all."

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dont hold your breath waiting for this to be available in your local NHS clinic. as usual it will be subject to funding.Sorry to be so cynical. Hope this can be introduced as many men will benefit from it. 12 core biopsy has left me with intermitent prostatitis and other problems, but anything that helps is wellcome
    • Posted

My local NHS hospital and many others do not own the MRI scanners on their premises as they cannot fford to buy them. A company called InHealth own them at about 30 locations and the NHS pay for scans. InHealth use the rest of the time scanning private patients. 

They are evidently selective in the scans they will do. I had an MRI compatible pace maker fitted at the hospital in 2015 but InHealth have not yet agreed a protocol for scanning patients with them.

• Posted

Surely not gentle,bit by bit privatisation of the NHS
    • Posted

It should be the other way round with the NHS owning the scanners selling time to private health providers.

Waiting times for private appointments are being extended now mainly because the the consultants are Moonlighting at the private hospitals.   

• Posted

Actually this has been know for some years in some circles.  I actually paid for an MRI before I had a biopsy several years ago, because I had followed the latest thinking. 

​The sad thing is how long this knowledge takes to get out into common knowledge, and particularly how long it takes before all the medical establishment reacts.

​It is also sad how behind the times the BBC reporting is

• Posted

In fairness to the Beeb, they were reporting on a report published in the 'Lancet' medical journal on 19th January 2017  about the results on the PROMIS study group on prostate cancer detection: (Very interesting report & worth googling)

"Our study found that using the two tests could reduce over-diagnosis of harmless cancers by 5%, prevent 1 in 4 men having an unnecessary biopsy, and improve the detection of aggressive cancers from 48% to 93%." 

• Posted

Downloaded the report. Good to see they are giving the MRI a chance. Interesting they used the Tesla 1.5, as considered common when compared to the Tesla 3.0, while better, not that available as yet.

Show a guy a MRI image of his cancer, and he is commited to fixing it. Just tell him his PSA said he had a problem..maybe,,and should have a biopsy...which may find the cancer..or may not..and liable to give him a serious infection..Again, the MRI is so "black and white".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.