In 5.6 after c section and emergency hysterectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

how do I get my HB levels up following a c section and emergency hysterectomy die to internal bleeding? I had a tough delivery to say the least which has left me with in levels 5.6. I'm so grateful to be alive to tell the story but I'm also worried I will not be able to bring my haemoglobin levels up. any suggestions please.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, wow, that's low! Sorry you had such a tough delivery.

I've always had trouble with iron levels and I'm often treated for anaemia, with tablets. However, I had a blood test done a few years back because I felt awful all the time, and they realised my HB was 5.7. I had to go straight to hospital, where I had 2 blood transfusions and then iron infusions to bring my levels back up. They were so worried that I wasn't even allowed to walk in the hospital, I had to be pushed in a wheelchair because of the risk of my heart failing. From what I understand, you should never have been allowed to leave hospital!

Where are you? Are you in the UK? There are natural ways of bringing HB levels back up bit they take time and you need to be treated straight away. I can't stress enough how serious it is to have levels that low, you must be feeling dreadful?

You really need to speak to your Doctor and get treatment because nothing else will be fast enough. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice to help you bring your levels up on your own.

Hope you get this sorted soon, congratulations on the new baby x

• Posted

thanks for your reply! I received 2 blood transfusions and some iron infusions. the doctor is hopeful that my levels will be up in a week or 2. I'm feeling so tired. between recovering from this big operation and being a mom to a new born , I'm really exhausted. I was called yesterday with some kind of good news. my last hb check was 7.4. I pray it keeps going up.

• Posted

Hi Christelle,

Sorry to hear about your challenges but glad you are doing good. i will strongly advise you that it would be best to use natural foods and a good balanced diet high in iron and that would help with boosting your levels. Four years ago i was in a similar position with an HB of 5.0 and after hospital treatment i had to do all i could to stay with natural foods and come off medication. i did so cause the effects of the medication was unsettling for me. i was glad i did that and my consultant was impressed.

i did that with the help of this non-clinical book from Amazon. it has some useful tips and recipes.

Overcoming Anaemia: My experience.

have a look and you may find it useful

Good luck and good health,

Lady C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.