In a terrible state, what should I do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I really hope someone out there can help.I was prescribed mirtazapine in november 2015 due to a complete breakdown. By March 2016 I had made some changes in my life and decided I wanted to come off. I was not sure what to do but did what I thought was ok and took roughly 4-6 weeks and came off. Unfortnately I had spectacular withdrawal symptoms so reinstated and decided, from advice on this and other forums, to do a much slower taper. Last week I eventually came off again, following a 30% reduction every 4 weeks. I had got down to 0.35mg, which I thought was a more than conservatively low amount at which to stop. Unfortunately yet again I have had some terrible withdrawl symptoms.  Everything was ok till day 6. I am really loathed to re-instate but don't know what to do? Any advice would be greatly received.

Also would any-one recommend getting some other drug from the doc to help come off. Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties in titrating off Mirtazapine. I went from 45 mg to 7.5 over 6 months, after two difficult previous attempts. I've followed the 10% taper method and kept records on the computer.  I discovered that my body let me know when I could make a cut. I used a very gentle schedule to reduce. I'm ready to make another cut but my husband is starting radiation therapy in another city and we are both stressed. I have decided not to make any changes until he is finished in 8 weeks.  It is disappointing not to continue the taper however, I know from the previous aborted attempts that speed is not as important and being to maintain a downward titration and not have to re-instate.  Mirtazapine can have some very nasty withdrawal symptoms, enough to bring the strongest person down to their knees.  I wish you well.  In answer to your second question, some doctors do prescribe medication to help through the withdrawal.  I was prescribed Clonzapam, a benozdyazapine which is habit forming and requires withdrawal itself. Check out your options.

• Posted

Hi Karin,

Thanks for your comments. I think the long game seems to be most best option. So will probaly do that. Perhaps I need to go down to an even lower dose than I have.

Good luck with your journey too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.