In addition to medication, what do you do to help manage your anxiety symptoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

Im a 21 year old male, who has suffered with anxiety since I can remember. Firstly, I would like to say that its refreshing too see so many people can be open and honest about their conditions on here - it has already opened my eyes to anxiety and other disorders and I only registered 5 minutes ago!

I can remember when I was a lot younger, this feeling of anxiety would take over and all I would want is to be close to somebody at home, either my parents or grand parents, and until this point I could not relax. I would also be awake at night worrying about things. It was only when ive grown up that ive been able to relate that feeling to anxiety.

I am still a sufferer now, and I went back to the doctors last week and he gave me Propanolol 40mg to be taking 3 times a day or as and when. I do feel a lot calmer, I still have a certain level of uncomfortability but the feeling does not get out of control.

I do work full time, and have an average group of friends. But my question to you, is what else do you do to manage your anxiety? Other than medication? Have any of you been for any counselling or cognitive behavioural theraphy?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Firstly this is a good forum for support and understanding so you have come to the right place. Anxiety can effect people in different ways and degrees. Counselling can help if you have depression as well. Have you tried deep breathing when you feel anxious, eat well and rest. Try to do things you enjoy, it's good that you have a small circle of friends as there are many on here that have no friends, i have no real friends and am having to join social groups just to get out, this has helped with my anxiety just to meet new people, thou it can be hard

at times and i really have to push myself. Hope this helps in some way.  

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply Elizabeth. When I start to feel anxious - the feeling over takes to the point where even deep breathing doesn't help. I don't know If i do have depression as such, if anything the anxiety is causing me to be depressed!

• Posted

HI again, it's worth checking out for therapies, talking therapies are good in small groups or counselling on a one to one basis. It could be that you have some underlying isssues that may be causing your anxiety. Anxiety is usually trigged ie in social situations or some thing that has happened, an event that was hard to deal with and this can go back years. Mine was when i had two nephews who both died before they were 40, one was suicide the other MS, my husband also commited suicide at 28. My anxiety is related around death and rejection. Please visit your GP and explain how you feel and ask for referal, CBT can be helpful too. I have had therapies thou not CBT. Let me know how you get on.  
  • Posted

CBT really help a lot...exercise is helpful...I don't know about you but I find religion also helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.