In agony 2 days post op.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my bunion removed on Thursday and stayed over night, my pain was controlled with Tramadol, I came home yesterday morning and everything felt fine, I hobbled about using a crutch I already had at home to go to the toilet etc but generally stayed sat down with my foot elevated keeping on top of painkillers (co-codamol and ibuprofen) but this morning, yikes, I'm in agony, my foot feels like it's on Fire and going to explode any minute, really struggling to gobble about and I feel extremely sick. Is this normal?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda.

The sickness you're experiencing is very likey to be the Tramadol.

It's a terrible drug for unwanted side effects even though it's good for the pain control.

I t made me vomit and I was very dizzy and faint and as soon as I decided to stop taking it the symptoms disappeared.

I spoke to my GP and he told me that he doesn't like prescribing it for those reasons and told me that I had done the correct thing in stopping taing it.

Re: your other symptoms with your foot. These could be for a variety of reasons.

The foot does tend to throb and a feeling that it will explode when you've been on it. Also, if you had a pain block in your foot after the surgery, this may have now worn off and what you're feeling is the discomfort which you'd have had without the pain block.

Try to be patient and keep on with the co-codamol etc and continue to stay off the foot as much as possible.

Elevate it as you are doing so that it's resting above the level of your groin. Use ice packs/frozen peas or whatever you have to hand to help reduce the swelling.

Also, if you have a wheat sack put it in the freezer to get it really cold as this will help with the swelling and therefore reduce the pain. If you're symptoms presist after a few days you need to contact your GP and also speak to the secretary of your surgeon/consultant just in case there's some infection which may need treating.

I had my first bunion surgery together with hammertoe correction in Nov 2013 and it's all been good. I have since had the bunion on my other foot corrected this year on Oct 1st and the progress is just as good as before. I did get the throbbing and swelling and the feeling that my foot would burst open but getting it elevated dealt with this.

Good Luck.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I have had both feet done in the last 5 months but one at a time. Keep sat down with your foot elevated but elevate it well, like well above hip level and if you have bandages get some ice packs or frozen peas. I got a lot of help from rescue remedy and arnica along with the drugs. The rescue remedy seems to calm you down and help you cope? Good luck, time passes quite quickly and you will be all healed up in no time. I am only 5 weeks post op on my second foot but had the ok to go back  to normal shoes. Foot still swells when I do too much but it gets better each day, hang in there. Amanda ( also)
  • Posted

HiAmanda  I found cocodamol made me feel extremely sick so just took ibuprofen and paracetamol . Hopefully this will pass soon.
  • Posted

Yes !! Hang in there it should start to ease tomorrow !!
    • Posted

They put nerve blocks in they will of worn off now ! Keep it elevated and as cool as possible I had real funny sensations and twitching put it does settle down !! I'm 10 days post now I have niggling pain but doesn't require pain relief but if on foot more than 20 mins it swells and need to elevate it ! Had dressings removed on thur to check all was ok it looked a great shape was really pleased ! My freaky ties had gone !!
  • Posted

Yes !! Hang in there it should start to ease tomorrow !!
    • Posted

I took ibuprofen with paracetamol then I tried cocodamol that gave me stomach pains I was prescribed tramadol only 2 doses in and ended up in high obbs in a/e dept I was sickly dizzy heart racing at 145bpm it was side effect from tramadol so be careful must admit it did help with pain in foot though !! the side effects were awful for me just hang in there if u can it does pass
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. The side effects of Tramadol seem scary! I'm glad I only had them while I was in hospital, luckily I didn't experience what some of you have.

I've just put a bag of frozen sweetcorn on and that seems to be helping, having it elevated so high is making my foot tingle and feel bizarre. Last night I kept it elevated all night as I slept and this morning, the agony! It was like I had no blood left in my foot!

I am having some major stomach pains at the moment, I saw that a side effect is constipation, I haven't been since Wednesday so I think that's what's making me feel sick.

It's good to hear that this should pass. Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to me.

• Posted

I had a good tip from here I was told to put bag of peas just below knee (I put a water bottle filled with ice cold water ) as it cools the blood travelling to foot so it's cooled when it arrives to aid swelling 
  • Posted

Hi Amanda

pain is normal,  feeling sick is not that normal but being in a lot of pain can make you anxious and feeling sick.  If I was you I would be talking to my GP and asking for stronger pain killers and also describing how I feel and asking for his/her advise.  I  am almost 7 weeks post bunion removal,  big toe fusion and shortening of three bones in my forefoot and I still take Tramal at night.  There is no way I could sleep without but I do not take any pain killers during day.

Also if you take Tramal or any meds with codeine you probably should consider taking something to prevent constipation.  In Australia Movicol is used commonly in those circumstances and it works well as it does not cause tummy upset or crumps.

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thanks for that tip Gill I'll get my other half to dig out the water bottle!

Thanks Mishe, the sickness has passed now although my stomach still feels quite unsettled, tomorrow if I'm in some pain again I'm going to ring someone because these just don't seem to be taking the edge off at all, I have the number for the ward I was treated on, should I ring them or my GP?

At the moment I have some Fybogel to take, I think we have Movicol knocking about too though.

• Posted

Hello fellow sufferer! I had both bunions removed yesterday. The block has now worn off and so my feet are on fire. I'm a lucky girl they sent me home with Oramorph. Just taken a dose and the pain is easing just a little but not going. Also have felt really sick. Getting to the bathroom is my biggest worry. In hindsight I would've been better to get one foot done at a time. Stay positive Amanda. A few weeks and life will be sweet again.

• Posted

Hi Amanda.  Sorry you are having such trouble.  Foot surgery is painful because there are so many nerve endings in your toes, etc.  The sickness is more than likely the pain meds.  My surgical nurse told me to eat one half banana and a half glass of milk before I took the meds and that did the trick for me.  I was on the pain meds for 8 days and no sickness.  You might try it.  You really want to keep the pain down as much as possible.  Stay elevated 45 minutes out of every hour and ice for 20 min every hour.  My Dr. had me to put the ice on the backside of my knee to cool the blood down going into the foot.  The bandages are too thick for the cold to penetrate.  You can mix 1 part rubbing alcahol to 3 parts water and freeze it in a zip loc bag and it doesn't freeze real hard and it works great.  You will need to do about 3 so you will always have one frozen.  Just be patient and it will get better.  It just takes time.  Hope this helps you. 

• Posted

Hi Amanda.

Day three of my double bunion op and the pain has dropped significantly. How are you now?

• Posted

Hi Amanda

hope you are starting to feel better.  I just started week 7 post forefoot reconstruction which included bunion removal and big toe fusion plus few other not so nice procedures.  I am weight bearing (more or less) but only in surgical post op shoe as I am still only allowed to walk in something with completely stiff sole and my foot would not fit in any normal shoe anyway.  However,  it is significantly less swallen but still much to tender to consider pushing it in to a shoe.  I am writing this to put things in perspective for you.  I am in week 7 and probably still another 4-5 weeks before I can consider normal shoes so please be patient,  elevate,  ice (if you can tolerate it, ( I found icing was great but when the foot warmed up the pain was much worse),  and keep your mind occupied with something pleasurable:  good book,  good movie,  fun chant with a friend,  what ever you fancy to keep yourself from dwelling on things you cannot change

All the best Amanda,  it does get better and in simple bunion surgery,  it does get better much sooner (based on other posts on this site)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.