In Agony at moment with extensive Diverticular Disease and looking for advice and help.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Newly been diagnosed with extensive Diverticular Disease and just out hospital after 4 days getting antibiotics intravenously. Currently on course of oral antibiotics Ammoxicillin and Metronidizole but confined to bed in agony here after trying to eat some soup earlier as i have had no food for 4 days and can only tolerate a small Actimel in the mornings and drink lots of water throughout the day. If i eat i have excruciating pain and foul smelling watery diarrhoea. Really feel ill here and i am at the end of my tether which has prompted me to seek the help and advice of other sufferers. Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Jane, I agree. I have just been through the sigmoid coectomy with loop ileostomy. I was lucky to have that reversed. My bowel perforated and it was done in emergent situation. Not ideal. Please try to get well THEN have the surgery electively! I am 47 and was very healthy. I am now pain free and normal so farsmile
    • Posted

Oh that defo sounds promising Kelly!! Thanks for your advice and i wish you well. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Jane. I hope you are feeling great today. Are you? I was diagnosed a week ago today. Still feeling lousy.
    • Posted

HI Brett, sorry to hear your diagnosis. Its defo a goal changer thats for sure. Im feeling alot better than i was 2weeks ago thats for sure! Hardly ate a thing as it has just scared me off food, so its just learning to adjust my diet completely and learn by trial and error what foods i can and cant eat! Its not easy but im sure I will get there! Hope you are ok and this is a brilliant place to come for advice and help. Its defo a problem shared on here and very helpful.
    • Posted

THANK YOU for replying!! It's day 7 being on the antibiotics for me. I still get chills. I have 7 more days to go but honestly I'm scared they aren't working. I so appreciate forums like this. Misery loves company, right? So great hearing you are better! Have a wonder and very Merry Christmas! Thanks again!
    • Posted

I know how you feel Brett, you just need to be patient and relax. I 2as on my antibiotics intravenously for 4 days in hospital and then a further 7 days on oral ones when home. Only finished them last week but still feel a bit tender. It takes a wee while for inflamation to settle so just rest up and you will defo feel the benefit soon. Take Care and hope you have a nice Christmas too! Just take things easy.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reassurance. Very much appreciated and needed.
    • Posted

AND !!!! don't scoff everything  in sight at christmas , no heavy stuff

that your guts have to work hard on to dispose of .Just remember the pain,

that should keep your mouth shut

• Posted

Haha yes the pain has kept away almost all my appetite. I had 1/2 a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast and it's still killing me this afternoon. Pretty sure hunger pangs are better than eating. I keep telling myself I just have to go thru this to get well. Thanks for any and all ideas. THIS SUCKS!
    • Posted

Eat little and often, soft  or well cooked veggies, and chew everything 

until it is mush. Don't get too hungry.  I eat bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon .You can buy mini bagels now  and,,,,, drink loads... swill everything down.

• Posted

Hang in there Brett - I had my first attack in 6 years on Thanksgiving - got into GI on the 8th - did 10 days on Cipro still had some pain on my sides - no more fever or gas/indigestion and BM's were normal so he put me on Metronodazole for 7 days I threw them out this morning they were making me sicker then I had been - I'm feelong better in some regards but not "normal" I think this is common I am not sure I am getting frustrated and sick of being sick. Like everyone else I am scared to eat - when i do I feel lousy - i have a call inot the Dr I guess we will see whats next - good luck I hope you feel better soon 
    • Posted

Tomorrow is my last day of meds!! Best Christmas present ever lol. Yesterday I was symptom free and so far this morning too! Praise God. My mind was thinking all sorts of twisted. Hope the pain stays away! Thanks so much for keeping me in mind. Having a sounding board for my crazy thoughts helped immensely!
    • Posted

Hope you have a Happy, pain free Christmas Brett! I for one, will defo need to keep check on things, so eat slowly, chew everything to a pulp and drink lots of water!!! I might even try a small glass of Champagne....but still wary about lots. But Happy Christmas to All!!! This Forum is defo brilliant for tips from lots of people in the same boat!!! Xxxx
    • Posted

Hi jane, i was in hosp 26/12/15 for a week on intravenus antibiotic drip for diverticilitis of sigmoid. Came out on oral antibiotics, my inflammation levels are still high, white blood cells are now normal. I am fine sitting or lying as soon as i stand the pain is terrible behind my hip bone/deep in abdomen/bum area. I have a sack of fluid in my sigmoid bowel. Tummy is soft and bowels working fine. Worried that antibiotics are taken along time to work.
    • Posted

Awe you poor thing! Sympathise completely! Feels like your never gonna get there but rest and patience and small meals will eventually pay off! Get well soon! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.